They lifted!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got around to breeding my two older does, Alice and Polly. Hey, I'm only about a month late! :roll: I intended to do it on St. Valentine's Day, just for a lark, but decided to hold off for another week or two... and then procrastinated some more. This is my biggest downfall as far as making a profit from my rabbits goes.

Lovely sunny day here and quite mild... I went down to the rabbitry just after 10:00 A.M. Everybunny was wide awake and energetic. I popped Alice, our favourite, in with Jasper, the NZR from Moonkitten's rabbitry. Alice is a little hussy... she had her tail up before he could even mount her. He fell off three times in quick succession and then I pulled her out and put Polly in. She cooperated too but with a little less enthusiasm. Jasper seems to be an Energizer bunny... He wasn't taking any breaks and just kept going and going. :lol:

So... calendar is marked and we're hoping for popples in about 31 days. :bouncy:

Still have two first timers to breed, but they are still sharing a cage and I would like to keep them together and try a colony pen. It would have to be rat-proof and cheap... so it will take some ingenuity. If I can't figure something out, I'll just have to separate them so each has her own cage. But they are sisters and littermates and get along great... ideal for a trial colony.

Cool! Looking forward to popples!

I've been meaning to breed mine, too, but things have been coming up, and I also have to keep checking dates to make sure I won't be out of town when they kindle. Today or tomorrow, though, I'm going to make a concerted effort to get them bred.

It's not always quite that easy, unfortunately. Polly has gained a bit of weight over the winter too. Hope she takes in spite of that. If not, she's going to find herself on a diet before the next round.

These will be Jasper's first offspring. The girls are both black but carry a lot of colour. And Jasper, of course, is red. So we're hoping for lots of colour in the nest boxes.

Back