Register

new here, new kits, questions.

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 1,893.00

new here, new kits, questions.

Post Number:#1  Unread postby boundarybunnyco » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:14 pm

hello, I have a californian/flemish litter, there were 11, down to 4. they are five days old. today my flemish doe had a litter of 12, one has died so far. I brought them all in the house for warmth. is it possible to foster some of the flemish kits to the other litter? the californian doe is a two time mother. the flemish doe had her first litter on the wire floor and they all died.
this is her second litter.
i just started with rabbits last spring.
shannon d.

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 2,555.00

Re: new here, new kits, questions.

Post Number:#2  Unread postby DumansArk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:30 pm

Welcome!

It is possible to foster kits - if I read your question correctly, you are looking to split up the Flemish's litter to give better odds of survival? I can see where you'd want to try that. She might do just fine, but if you'd like to give fostering a go rub the Californian's pulled fur and nesting material on the kits so that they smell like her own.

Then it is up to her - some are wonderful foster mothers. Some are more reluctant. Let us know how it goes!
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DumansArk ~~~ Animal Art, Jewelry, and Gifts

BunnyBucks: 1,777.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby Bramble Hedge » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:33 pm

welcome Boundry
:) Hearty discussion is the sharing of knowledge = and knowledge is never a bad thing :)

:pinkbunny: http://www.minilop.webs.com :pinkbunny:

Post Number:#4  Unread postby boundarybunnyco » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:45 pm

thanks for the welcome. is the age difference in the kits too much? 5 days.

BunnyBucks: 2,555.00

Post Number:#5  Unread postby DumansArk » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:00 pm

Have they nursed off their mom yet? The colostrum is important for them to have.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/DumansArk ~~~ Animal Art, Jewelry, and Gifts

Post Number:#6  Unread postby boundarybunnyco » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:02 pm

I assume they have, they have fat little bellies.

Site Admin
11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,414.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby MaggieJ » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:30 am

Welcome, Boundary Bunny. :hi: Glad to see you here!

I don't have a lot of experience fostering rabbits, so I'll leave your question to other members.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

Post Number:#8  Unread postby boundarybunnyco » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:02 pm

thanks Maggie. today I put the flemish kits on the californian doe for a few minutes. then their mother tore up her cage. I think she didn't like them being with the other doe. after a while I put her in the back room with their nest. she climbed in and let them nurse for a while. afterwards she was much calmer. I think things maybe are working themselves out. whew!

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 31,400.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby OneAcreFarm » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:36 pm

Good to see you here, Boundary! You will find alot of good information and support here! Welcome and glad things are going better with your Flemmie litter.

http://www.oneacrefarmrabbits.com
~A micro-attempt at self-sufficiency~

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 398.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby JueLee » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:24 pm

boundarybunnyco wrote:I have a californian/flemish litter, there were 11, down to 4.

Yes, fostering generally works out well, but I'd be wary of fostering to a mom that isn't able to take care of the kits she already has. Loosing more than half the litter is not a good sign.
-- Jue

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 87,563.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby MamaSheepdog » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:46 pm

JueLee has a good point- if the doe couldn't maintain her own litter, fostering doesn't seem like a good plan.

As for the colostrum, we have barn cats that are "colony raised" and sometimes a Queen will nurse other kittens before they have their own, or give birth in an established nest where the competition for teats favors the older kittens. When that is the case, her own kittens will get to be a few weeks old, and then start dying off. I assume it is because they didn't benefit from the antibodies of the colostrum since they got very little or none at all.

IMO, without colostrum most animals succumb to illness and it is nearly hopeless to try to raise them without that boost to their immune system.

Fortunately, it sounds like your doe is doing a fine job. I hope you have lots of healthy babies, and welcome to RT!
Victory Garden Rabbits

Proud new owner of the highly coveted Get-away-with-it-card! (Homer's gift to me in a feeble attempt to curry favor and avoid the ban hammer.)

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery. - Thomas Jefferson

BunnyBucks: 2,615.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby LilFish_JWQueen(: » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:58 pm

Glad the fostering went well! ...it usally does iv been fostering babies to different moms for as long as ive been breeding and never had a problem.
Welcome to rt!
Jessica
Three little ladies rabbitry
Jersey woolies, holland lops and satins
My life quote - "The best revenge is happiness...because everyone wants to be happy..So smile. :) "