Cough remedies?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trinityoaks

Reaction score
Ok, this has NOTHING to do with rabbits, nor is it fun, but what else can I try for a natural cough remedy (trying to avoid commercial medicine as much as possible) for DS17?

He's taking an OTC cough suppressant (was taking guaifenesin until the chest congestion was gone), eucalyptus steam treatments (breathing from a steaming bowl of water with eucalyptus oil), and grapefruit seed extract (in orange juice) every four hours. The cough isn't hurting him, and it seems to have diminished in intensity, but it's not gone.

Horehound tea is good for coughs. It's bitter, so he'd probably want it well sweetened with honey. Horehound candy used as a cough drop back when... you can still get it online.

I also use apple cider vinegar mixed with honey for sore throats and coughs, but that is more at the beginning of a cold. Don't know how it would work on a lingering cough.

How long has he been coughing? Has his cough stopped getting better?

I'm thinking maybe he just needs some more time for it to stop. If he was quite sick, it can take months for a cough to completely quit.

We use Delsym here for unproductive or excessive coughing. I know it isn't natural, so it doesn't answer your question. I remember using hot tea with lemon and honey in it as well. Haven't tried that one since I was a teenager.

Grapefruit seed extract is excellent for killing colds and such, but it isn't going to treat a leftover cough (one that just hangs around a while after you're otherwise well). We use GSE in sweetened tea -- it practically vanishes in it, with very little taste, and only a little bitter aftertaste. We've found it much more tolerable that way than in any kind of juice.

:)

Latest posts

Back