squished kits---prevention?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
Checking our F2 does box, I found a squished kit late Thur when I returned and another this am---just flattened, buried and in the corner of the nest. So, she had 7, 5 are very well fed and growing nicely 3.25 lbs at a week!

How many get squished kits--these are my first.?

The box is a full size wine crate with a top, she used it in Nov too.

thx

They probably weren't squished but were already dead. They look "flat" after a while. :) A lot of does will eat the dead kits, but it sounds like your doe just moved them away from the live ones (or they moved away on their own).

There is not much you can do about squished kits when they're in the nest box still. I had a Mini Rex doe accidentally squish a kit at 1 week, the rest of the litter moved away from it on their own because it is "cold to them"

When they are out of the nest box though and starting to chase after momma, you tend to get a couple more accidental squishing (especially with large litters). So What I would do is section off a corner of the cage with a board over 3"-4" high so Momma can get away from the babies.

Back