I have a rabbit that is half the buck he used to be...cull??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Legacy

Reaction score
I had to make room for rabbits that were due to kindle so I had to move a buck to our "overflow" cage. It is sitting on blocks about 6 inches off the ground but it is a tall cage and the door is on top so that puts the door almost 4ft off the ground.

We have the cages in a fence. We also have a semi-free-range buck that lives in the fence. He comes as goes as he pleases. I never dreamed he would be able to get into the door of the cage that is almost 4ft off the ground but he did. The door opens in or out so all he had to do was get on it and it would open from his weight. He got in with the other buck and wounded one of his testicles. It has a scab on it now and it is all shriveled up. His other one is fine. Is he done as breeder buck now? will he be any good at all? Should I just cull him?

They say it only takes one to get the job done. If he is a valuable part of your breeding program, I'd test breed him once he is healed up and see how he does. If not... you may want to cull him.

Who would have thought your semi-free range guy would be that territorial!

The buck that injured the buck I had to cull was also semi-free range (from the other owners...my dogs are too aggressive to do that with my buns!) Maybe they're more territorial?

I culled mine because he got an infection in both testicles after their 30 second fight. It was totally my fault as I had mixed the girl/boy up. So depressing. I would keep an eye on it for angry red lines or very hard spreading scabbing.

Most animals can produce fine with one testicle. All you have to do is look in my pasture proof. "Oh no he can't breed. He only has 1 undescended testicle and the other is missing. He'll be fine with your mares." About a year and a half later I had a paint x qh colt and paint x mystery grade pony plus he bred his dam who was owned by the same people. Nice little 13h paint filly though. Ended up keeping her around. Generally you cull animals missing or not dropping a testicle because it's usually a genetic problem that you don't want to pass on and not because of any breeding difficulties. An injury that heals fine should not be an issue. Especially if you aren't trying to breed many does a week from him.

If you are really concerned, and he is a valuable part of your breeding program, I would breed him to your best doe and keep a buck offspring then cull the buck.

Thanks. I guess I'll try him. He didn't seem too much in the mood today he kind of gave it a half hearted attempt for a second or two and then seemed disinterested. maybe he is still in pain. I was surprised my semi-free range buck got in his cage.

Back