white cysts in liver? what are these?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
So I processed a male fryer (not snuffles) as I needed the cage and he was solo. Nice 5+ live weight. Very meaty and good proportion; however I found what looks like cysts in the liver---will post an image tomm.

Thoughts?

probably liver coccidia.

Toss all internal organs, don't feed them to anything.

Cook the rest of the rabbit well if eating it yourself, otherwise the carcass makes good dog food.

I agree it is likely liver coccidiosis. It will help to see a picture.

The meat will be fine but the organs, as Ladysown has already said, should be discarded. You may find that other fryers from the same litter are similarly affected. Sometimes the animals will be visibly ill, I have heard, but the only time I have seen it here the fryers seemed perfectly healthy until I opened them up.

Usually liver coccidiosis is a result of poor sanitation. The litter I was speaking of were dirty little rabbits... pooping and peeing in their water and feed. Their mother always had enormous litters and raised almost all of them, but she did not train her youngsters well and her daughters were not particularly good mothers. I eventually culled that entire line.

The rest of the litter is long gone--he was the only one left... Pooped in feeder--yes. hmmm. I hang my feeders higher now.

Okay, CH, I've taken care of it for you this time. You now have a personal gallery and the picture is in it. In future, please do not post meat rabbit type pictures in galleries like "Meet My Rabbits". It isn't "Meat My Rabbits", 'k? :D

To add a picture to a thread as an attachment, all you do is start a post, then click "full editor" (next to "submit") and scroll down to where you see the part about adding an attachment. A picture is an attachment... browse your files for the one you want and pop it in. Easy peasy.

Back