how much papaya

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uumom2many

Reaction score
I think Duncan has a bit of wool block but I'm not 100% sure. He's stopped eating but will eat a slice of banana a day. I have to check his water and hay now that I've noticed the non-eating. I bought a fresh papaya but not sure the size of piece and if the skin is aceptable

Is he pooping? If so, what do the poops look like?

What do you normally feed him? A bit more information will help us help Duncan.

It is vital to keep his system moving. Try giving him a crock of water as well, if he uses a bottle. Offer grass hay, fresh greens like dandelions or clover - since you are in Florida there should be something available - and of course, the papaya. I'm not too sure on quantity for the papaya, but you could start with a slice similar in size to the banana slice and see how he takes to it. I don't know if the skins are edible. Hopefully someone with Angoras will pop in and advise you about this.

His poop is okay but does have some hair in it. He is drinking just fine (I actually saw him drinking) and did eat some fresh spinach I gave him yesterday in addition to the banana. I just cut a slice a little larger than the nana and he ate that up too. He's moving and seems great otherwise.

Someone mentioned that with a change in temp he could go "off feed" which we have had consistently warmer weather this past week. I'm goign to go ahead and shave him down so we don't add to the issue.<br /><br />__________ Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:59 pm __________<br /><br />oh and he's normally on pellets with free timothy hay and supplimenting with sprouted alfalfa and banana w/skin a few times a week, occassional marigold, grape, arugula, kale, broccoli, black oil sunflower seed, etc.

Okay, on that diet he should not be majorly blocked. I would just increase the fresh foods slightly and keep an eye on him. I take it it is just his pellets that he is not eating? Is he still eating hay?

Did you by any chance change brands of pellets or open a new bag around when he stopped eating them?

Yeah we did open a new bag come to think of it but it was the same brand and bought at the same time the last bag just finished.

It might not have anything to do with it, but it is not unknown for rabbits to reject pellets if they are a different kind or if the new bag isn't as appetizing for some reason. Do the pellets look and smell "normal".

I think the general rule of thumb is any rabbit that's not eating normally, you give them as much of what they will eat. Since the papaya is a new food, introduce slowly and increase the portions.

Live-culture yogurt is also good.

Is Duncan starting to molt? Most of my English are blowing their coats right now (we aren't too far north from you) and will be plucked or sheared if they have not already been. If Duncan is in the same situation, he may have been ingesting the loose wool during normal grooming. So, it is a plus that you want to shave him anyway before it gets too warm because that will get all that extra angora off of him in the meantime.

That is good that you are giving him banana with the skin still on already, too. As far as papaya, I always skin it and slice it into small pieces (after de-seeding) before offering it. The skin is bitter tasting and you don't want to discourage him from eating it if he happens to take a bite of the skin before the fruit.

Is he still eating all of his hay? If so, I wonder if he is filling up on free-choice timothy + sprouted alfalfa and banana w/skin a few times a week, marigold, grape, arugula, kale, broccoli, black oil sunflower seeds, etc. That would be a much easier fix then if he has wool block, but if he is having wool issues then it is strange that his droppings are normal.

Best of luck!

Lauren

Usually he get one fresh thing a day, I just vary it which is why I listed all the stuff I give (does that make sense?). But he does have free-choice on the dry hay.

I think he is blowing coat, i've never seen it before (my first bunny here) but he looks like he's balding when he streches all out. I need to get out there and shave him this week. What is a general good length to leave him at? Some places will have to be shorter because of the matts I have to clip away.

Hi again,

I would shear him all the way down to just above his skin because you can keep/use his wool sans mats (hopefully it is prime at this point) and you live in FL so it will help keep him cool as it gets warmer. Here is a good tutorial and is exactly what I do when I shear my angoras (I even use those exact same scissors/shears): http://ncag.blogspot.com/search?q=fiskars

Best of luck,

Lauren

Late to the party again, as usual. sorry :( But, I've noticed Chuck (my angora buck and the only angora in a cage) will go off his feed shortly before I pluck him. He just eats hay and water. Lasts a couple of days or until he gets plucked.

As long as he's pooping and drinking and eating hay, it should be fine. Feeding the timothy is about all you need to prevent wool block..it's like you eating Fiber One...or drinking a fiber drink...just keeps everything moving nicely.

Get him a buzz cut and take it from there. That will be easier to keep him groomed during the move, too :)

Back