Register

Snuffles?

Diagnosing and treating rabbit ailments. *Caution! These threads may contain graphic content.*
9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 610.00

Snuffles?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby cereshill » Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:10 pm

I have two young does that sneezed and have white snot in the corners..

Cull or try to cure?

thx,
CH

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 33,916.00

Re: Snuffles?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby ladysown » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:11 pm

I used to say...keep 'em for a bit, see if it clears up.

Now I say, if I breed for health, I breed for health. Sneezers and others need not apply.
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

Post Number:#3  Unread postby cereshill » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:13 pm

ok to eat?

Site Admin
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,334.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:17 pm

If they are just meat rabbits headed for freezer camp, immediate culling is the most practical thing to do. You can still safely use the meat. If they are more important than that, you may want to isolate them while you assess the situation. Dusty hay or allergies sometimes cause sneezing, however the presence of white mucous is not a good sign. Has anything happened to put them under unusual stress?

Ladysown raises a good point. If these does are susceptible to this kind of thing, you likely do not want them in your breeding program.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

Post Number:#5  Unread postby cereshill » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:30 pm

Hi Magggie

Nothi9ng has changed to cause stress. They are at the farm; I was there today and heard a sneeze. Checked--nothing. hour later--snot on noses! I pulled the two and packed them up. Plan on processing tonight.

BunnyBucks: 375.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Silver Star Rabbitry » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:03 pm

That is the best thing to do.

Emily
Silver Star Rabbitry
Raising and Showing Quality Silver Marten Rabbits in North Louisiana.

http://silverstarsilvermartens.webs.com/
http://silverstarrabbitry.blogspot.com/

silvermarten@aol.com

Female
BunnyBucks: 990.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby AprilW » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:04 pm

I will let a sneeze slide sometimes if there is no mucous, especially if I give hay. But a rabbit that sneezes a lot or if I ever see mucous, they are culled immediately.
OlivYew Rabbitry: Breeding and showing purebred American Chinchilla rabbits

Post Number:#8  Unread postby cereshill » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:57 pm

I processed the second; when I came back to check--she was blowing snot and it was hanging. A shame as they might have been decent does, but better safe--at least dinner is covered tomm..

BunnyBucks: 1,540.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby Brody » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:20 am

safer is relative ...
newest research says nearly all rabbits carry pasturella - it's the blowing out with it that is problematic - back when I started with rabbits a case of pasturella had you euthanzing pets and saying if you won't PTS you must NEVER get another rabbit - now it seems that it can lie dormant in a healthy rabbit forever unless that rabbit gets sick, injured or stressed in some way (not to say pasturella will break out in every sicknees, injury or stress case - it doesn't)
I had a rabbit who lived here, very healthly, for nearly 3 years - he was attacked by a cat - BOOM - pasturella ...unless one of the new rabbits is a silent carrier (also possible) he had it deep within himself - he had been stressed and was fine .. but the attck on his immune sstem was more than his body could take

I think you did the right thing but wanted you to know a little more about the newest info
“The crafty rabbit has three different entrances to its lair”
Chinese Proverb

http://www.vareharrifarm.blogspot.com

Female

Post Number:#10  Unread postby AprilW » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:08 am

From my understanding of snuffles (which is fairly limited), it is in all rabbits. Those with weak immune systems, are ill with something else, or under a lot of stress will present the disease. At that point it will (I suppose "may" would be better than "will") be communicable among other rabbits. Apparently, unless the rabbit is showing symptoms the disease is not contagious, but once it becomes contagious it is hard to contain.

BunnyBucks: 1,540.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby Brody » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:20 am

the latest research I've seen (sadly not in on line format) says not all domestic rabbits but most - but also admits they may simply not have sophisicated enough testing yet

__________ Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:19 am __________

the latest research I've seen (sadly not in on line format) says not all domestic rabbits but most - but also admits they may simply not have sophisicated enough testing yet

__________ Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:20 am __________

“The crafty rabbit has three different entrances to its lair”
Chinese Proverb

http://www.vareharrifarm.blogspot.com

BunnyBucks: 15.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Marian » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:10 am

I had a rabbit once, a beautiful doe, both inside and out. After her second litter, it looked like she developed Snuffles (never had her tested so this is a guess). I was heart-broken. So I did some research and used herbs and a homeopathic remedy. She recovered and went on to have many more litters. She died last winter of unrealated causes. I have kept a couple of her daughters/granddaughter and they have never exhibited snuffles sypmtoms. My thinking is if rabbit has snuffles and beats it, it's a good trait to have in a line. This isn't fact, it's just my opinion.

Post Number:#13  Unread postby cereshill » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:59 am

what did you use for an herb remedy?

Female

Post Number:#14  Unread postby AprilW » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:12 pm

I would be interested in hearing that as well. From what I've been told, snuffles is incurable.

BunnyBucks: 15.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby Marian » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:01 pm

I seemed to have the best results with a combo of fresh dill (respiratory), fresh dandilion (tonic, immune booster) and dried comfrey (internal mucus membranes). I also had a very mild aromatherapy diffuser going twice a day for 15 minutes with eculaptus. Basically I was trying to support her immune system as well as I could so she could fight the disease and recover.
Remember, this just my experience with one rabbit that worked out well. I've used herbs and aromatherapy for about 10 years now and I believe it is really something that needs to be researched and read about extensively. Just because it's 'natural' doesn't mean it is automatically safe.

Yes, I've heard snuffles was incurable, too. I've also heard feeding rabbits fresh greens will kill them and rabbits cannot live together in harmony. I find it incredibly difficult to find solid, documented material on rabbits concerning snuffles.

Next