Satin Babies, Harlie Mix Babies, and more! :)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DumansArk

Reaction score
Just wanting to share my pretty little rabbits:

This is Garth.

dumansark_garth-face.jpg

He is a satin buck that we just love; his belly pattern is nearly symmetrical

dumansark_garth-belly.jpg

(the pic doesn't look like it as his body is coming towards my midsection in a curve).

I haven't named this girl yet. I want a name that fits her; she was the reddest of her litter, and had the best shine to her coat.
dumansark_redsatinbaby.jpg

My harlie mix kit:
dumansark_harlie_kit_fromkerryblue-bhb.jpg

Her sister:
dumansark_curlyharliemix.jpg

And Muppet, my shaggy boy:
dumansark_muppet_sidebody_11211.jpg

I LOVE this time of year :)

Aww, they are all so cute! The sister to the harlie mix looks like she is trying to be a guinea pig, laid out flat like that- if only she could hide her ears!
As for your red satin, why not look up Gaelic or Scottish names since that is where all the red heads come from? I'm not real fond of naming animals for their color, but Ember is nice- probably in the world of reds that is a fairly common name. Maybe you could name her after hot sauce. Cholula or Tapatio? I think Cholula sounds more feminine and Tapatio sounds masculine. Perhaps you could search "Heirloom Tomatoes" for more ideas, especially if you breed a lot of reds.
Happy naming!

MamaSheepdog that's brilliant! =D
I'll be following up on all of those suggestions and see what names I fancy.

And the guinea pig rabbit: GRIN!! Yes, like a little teddy gp.

We are pretty picky when we name our animals, especially long lived ones like dogs and horses... takes us forever. I'm actually surprised we were able to pick names for our children before they were born, especially since we had to pick boy AND girl names, LOL! So I've had a lot of practice looking for creative sources for names.

Btw, it's a good thing you just post USA as your location... otherwise I might have to creep into your rabbitry in the wee hours and bring your little "guinea pig" home! Too cute!

The reds sure are pretty too... and as for breed, Satins were a close second to Standard Rex for me. I think one of these days I'll have to add some to my herd! I think I'm gonna need another BunnyBarn... Oh, Hu-u-sband!!! Time to start building again!

I did breed satin and woolly mice about 20 years ago, and that satin gloss is just so beautiful!

LilFish: Me too! I LOVE red satins, and am so thankful to have one again.

MamaSheepdog: HA HA HA!!! I am in TN - but if you evvvver make a trip here we could totally work out something :D There are long haired rats (called Harlies) out of a few breeders in CA, and I have been looking to get Brazilians but the Drift hasn't reached near enough to me yet... as for the little guinea pig girl, she is my newest blessing out of my Astrex program. I am so thrilled at her curl and color! I can't wait to see what her future offspring look like :)
And yes, you should add Satins --- and tell the hubby that another bunny barn will be no trouble at all ;D

Tennessee, huh? Well, you know the economy is bad when embarking on a new career in petty thievery is unaffordable! I'm afraid with the price of gas your little Astrex is safe from me for now...

Seriously, though, this is just too strange. There are an awful lot of adorable bunnies on RT, but that little girl just stole my heart. For her to be a rare variety of Rex seems just too good to be true! I would love to be involved in breeding and preserving the strain. I searched Astrex on the web and visited your site- I see that Astrex is a fur type not limited to Rex. Your little girl has longer fur than Rex, so I assume she has other breeds in her. I also saw that there are a couple of Astrex breeders in California so there is no need for me to become a small-time bandit.

I researched Brazilians as well and they are an intriguing breed. Hmmm... Rex, Astrex, Satins, AND Brazilians... I think I am going to need more than one additional BunnyBarn! Wait until Hubby hears that Duman'sArk says another B-Barn is no problem. He'll thank you later, I'm sure! :)

I guess the fancy rats and mice will just have to wait- although I suppose the culls could provide good income as reptile food! (I refuse to add fried rat to the menu, LOL!)<br /><br />__________ Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:27 pm __________<br /><br />Duman,

I just came out to my Hubs about my LPR obsession and showed him this page. I didn't make any mention of the particular buns who struck my fancy. When he saw Not Mine he said "It looks like a gerbil" and when he saw Muppet he said "It looks like a hamster". Obviously he isn't quite as fluent in ascertaining breed (er- species) characteristics as I am, but it was a valiant attempt.

I must warn you... he is threatening to travel to TN to discuss just what he thinks about your assertion that another BunnyBarn is in order. I am confident that despite his protestations to the contrary, and knowing what a fine Keeper-of-a-Husband that he is, he would return with a couple of LPR's for his little wifey... after reading you the riot act about enabling said little LPR-obsessed wife in her bunny addiction.

;) I think we have another Astrex admirer. WOO-O-O-O-O-T!!!

Latest posts

Back