Chuck returns to the group

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, Chuck is going back IN the colony. The youngster will leave for a couple of weeks (she's 4months and still looks "young" if you know what I mean) and Chuck, big studly wimp that he is, gets to go back with his girls for a couple of weeks. We'll start that next week...probably a week from today. Then, first week in April, they all move out to the Farm and their new home...should give the girls enough time to settle in and get used to the new surroundings before kindling. Chuck gets to live IN the colony house out there, but in his own 3'x4' area. Outdoor access to a run on good days once we get some grass going again. The girls get the 8x8 main floor, with a covered outdoor extension (hoop coop) and a larger run during the day.

I have to find out if Mama-san and Peter can tolerate being in an outdoor colony with other does. If not, they'll live inside the 2nd house with the chickens :D (that should be fun) and the NEW meat rabbits will start life on the farm as outdoor colony people. No coddling. You either romp and play and dig and breed and eat...or you go to camp! :lol:

Look for pictures in a month or so of either the colonies and rabbits, or of me on a beach somewhere after I run away screaming in frustration!

fun....yes...that's one way to look at it :lol:

I'm going to be moving 4 NZ 6week olds, Mama-San and her new kits, Peter, 4 angora does, 1 angora buck, 2 LARGEish dogs, and 36 or so 5week old chicks :D :bananadance2:

All to a farm that isn't on the grid. I have a lovely wood cookstove and also a propane stove set up. No fridge, but I dont' really need that. We do have electricity...a nice big generator that I can run to charge the battery setup, and solar to charge them normally.

I tried to do the garden and stuff last year by commuting from the house here in town, but I never got anything done. I need to be THERE so that I actually go out and do the work. :roll:

so! The buns will appreciate the space, I'm sure. And other than food and water, they won't care about anything else. Neither will the chicks. It is the start of yet another experiment in life! :D

Chuck is now in with his girls. Queen Chocolate Bunny decided to assert her dominance over this poor white male, and had him squeeking by pulling on his fur, but nothing nasty and now it's all good. He's out of shape, so the girls can hop away from his advances, but he's getting in shape..running around, hopping up and down doing his jumping jacks. Pumping iron, as it were.

Vienna seems to be the most, er, interested at the moment. FLB flees in terror, and Chocolate Bunny just glares at him.

He's eating with them, doesn't seem to be bullied out or anything, so looks like it's going well. On the whole tho, since I don't want litter after litter, I think I may just keep the angora bucks in their own pens, and bring in ladies to visit THEM when I want a litter. BUT, this would work if I had way to sell the offspring. I think I'd probably keep 2 or 3 breeder does, with the buck...and just not worry about taking wool from them. Then the offspring would come OUT of the colony as soon as they could be weaned...and those would be the show/woolers/sale bunnies.

Latest posts

Back