Evil doe question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anntann

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
so. Chocolate Bunny is just plain nasty when you catch her. After she's caught..she's fine. When she's free in the colony and comes over for treats..she's fine. Ears up, happy bunny. Wouldn't think of nipping. But holy razor teeth, batman! When you reach down and start to pick her up she is a holy terror! twists, turns, reaches for fingers/arms/hands/whatever she can grab.

now...I've not seen ANY of that in any of the other rabbits. I can pick up any of them without fear of losing a finger or chunk of flesh. Her 4 kits were the nicest popples you can imagine. Lily was positively SWEET! she almost purrrrred when you picked her up. The little black girl that I still have just lets me pick her up anytime and sits there like it's all roses and lolipops.

My question is: Since it doesn't look like this attitude is something she teaches the others, should I keep her? She has magnificent wool and lots of it. It's a gorgeous milk chocolate brown. She's the largest of the 3 does and seems to pass that size and "type" on to her offspring (well, she's only HAD 1 litter, but they all looked like clones of CB except for color) But I'm worried about the biting. She was a sweet junior. Once she had the kits, she changed into a demon bunny. She IS a great mom, tho.

arghghgh.

Any advice? thoughts?

Perhaps she has a touch of hormone imbalance left over? Maybe another litter will help even her out. Shame to get rid of a doe with such excellent qualities otherwise.

On the other hand, I am aware it could be permanent and her kits could take after her.

Meanwhile, perhaps a set of these would help... chain mail gauntlets :D

Meanwhile, perhaps a set of these would help... chain mail gauntlets :D
:lol: I've thought about something similar! I've got a pair of leather welding gloves that are upstairs for this afternoon (she gets plucked today) and I have to remember to wear the leather jacket..just in case!

I'm hoping that a 2nd litter will settle her down. Mama-san, our NZ doe, is really not friendly at ALL unless she's pregnant. Then she settle right down and is almost likable. maybe...just maybe.... ;)

I'd drop a towel over her to pick her up.
that might be just what she needs to chill out (and it's an added barrier).

I'd say hang onto her and just be careful. If it gets too much for you to tolerate... well, you can always get rid of her later. To me this sounds like a panic reaction rather than meanness, since this is the only time she bites.

I think I would see how some of her daughters turn out once they have a littter or two of their own, to see whether she passes down that "attack-rabbit" tendency.

Back