Buck's behavior has changed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rae

Reaction score
I bred our big doe back to OldMan yesterday. Last time I bred them, the buck did his thing grunted and fell over. The second time that same day he just kinda slid over onto his side when he was finished, not quite as dramatic but still funny. Yesterday, he didn't do any of that. He mounted and maybe 5-10 seconds later just hopped down. He remounted almost right away, same ending. We tried again in the afternoon with the same results only this time he started nipping at her and he stayed mounted for much longer. She was a very good girl the whole time, but I'm wondering if the deed was actually even done. Is it normal for the Buck's beeding behavior to change, or should it always be the same?

It sounds to me as though he was having trouble completing the act because she was not lifting her hindquarters. The nipping is something that happens with some bucks... Frustration, maybe?

Turn the doe over and look at her genitals. The colour is usually an indication of how receptive she will be. If they are pale white to pink, she will likely not be interested. Best to try again another day. Deep pink... maybe. Red to purplish... she's hot to trot. It's not 100% of course, but it can help to know what to expect.

When the rabbits are breeding watch closely for the doe to lift the hindquarters at the vital moment. Usually if she does that, the buck will fall over and the breeding can be considered successful.

Yea it sounds like she didn't lift so the connection could not be made and he was getting frustrated. Sometimes if you just keep trying for a few days the doe will soon become receptive and start lifting for the buck. Occasionally I have manually held a doe's hindquarters up and once the buck is successful I throw the doe in an extra cage for 10-20mins before trying again. Most will lift on their own after that letting the buck get in at least 2 breedings but we try for 3.

LOL. I put her back in his cage this morning, he tried again with the same results. The doe went into a corner, laid down and he came over, snuggled up to her and started grooming her. Sweet as can be but not exactly the results I was hoping for. If it doesn't happen tomorrow, should I wait and try with the other buck when he's out of quarantine?

My sable netherland buck is very good at telling whether a doe is receptive or not. He won't even attempt to mount a doe who isn't ready to breed. I put a doe in with him for rebreeding because she was 6 days past due and he wouldn't touch her. I put her back in her cage and found fur the next morning. A few days later I put her back in with him and he immediately bred her. The does are much happier with a buck like that. One of my mini rex bucks just humps everything possible and the does often refuse to breed with him even when they are willing to breed overall. They all find him annoying and he upset a young doe enough she was screaming while trying to hide under his feeder.

Back