Query - how to handle information from other breeders

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Different scenarios

1. bought rabbits from a breeder, had difficulty with those rabbits, and have since heard from three different sources not to buy rabbits from them as they tend to be 'sniffly'.

2. bought a rabbit from a breeder, he did really well here and I liked him. Have been told by three different people that boy was I lucky as most people don't do well with rabbits from that breeder as they tend to be 'sniffly'.

3. being asked by another breeder what a certain rabbit is like because they haven't seen them, and are considering buying that rabbit. You think that rabbit will grow big for it's breed, but other than that you like the rabbit and it comes from decent stock.

4. you hear from a breeder that their rabbits are having problems with their health, and have been having problems for a while, you inquire further as to what seems to be the problem so you can offer advise and find out they are snotting and sniffly, and that some of the kits have entropathic issues. AND then you hear that someone wants to buy rabbits from them.....

HOW do you handle these situations?

Do you keep your mouth shut when people ask your opinions on other breeders?
Do you say, I've heard thus and such, but I haven't had a problem with them?
Do you say, my personal experience says, stay clear?

OR do you just let people buy whatever they want from whomever they want, letting them at times learn things the the hard way OR potentially get a good rabbit for themselves OR ???? AND through it all just keep repeating the mantra of isolate, isolate, isolate?

I don't know.

I done a mixture of all the above and I find it all has pros and cons so want to hear what others have to say.

If I "hear" from several people that a breeder has sick rabbits, I usually don't pass that information on unless I have first hand knowledge. It is too easy for a digruntled person or a show competitor to start a rumor, two or 3 people repeat it then "lots of people are saying this guy has unhealthy rabbits"

I have sold healthy rabbits to people, that raise them in an unhealthy manner and they get sick..they then blame you. One of the reasons I seldom advertise any rabbits for sale... I am not raising show rabbits, and my own family can easily consume all I raise.

If one is enguaged in show, breeding stock, or pet sales, then they are always going to have deal with this. When I did, I knew most of the breeders and had seen their set-ups. I knew who would only say something if they had first hand knowledge, and who would pass along rumors. The learning process was somtimes rough.

When I buy, I try to keep "buyer beware" foremost in my mind. I always check out the rabbit to see that its (apparently) healthy, of the right sex, breed and conformation that I want. After that I isolate it, for a period of time depending on what I think of the breeder and his husbandry. I try to only buy weaned kits if I can, not adult rabbits. I would rather take a chance on my selection and growout, than theirs. It is much easier to buy a kit at a inexpensive price... If it doesn't work out, I have chosen to accept that. For someone buying an adult expensive show rabbit, then it is a much harder decision.

One must always keep in mind, that there is more than one successful way to raise rabbits. I have been places where the people, IMO, have their rabbits in way too small of cages. I think it is atrocious...... but I am not walking in their shoes.<br /><br />__________ Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:58 am __________<br /><br />

I do not spread what I hear unless I know for a fact it is true.

If I have personal experience I would say "this was my experience, but it may have been a fluke".

Everyone should be responsible for checking over rabbits before they buy them. Of course, at the same time, a breeder should strive to sell healthy rabbits.

AprilW":2vwsinl8 said:
I do not spread what I hear unless I know for a fact it is true.

If I have personal experience I would say "this was my experience, but it may have been a fluke".

Everyone should be responsible for checking over rabbits before they buy them. Of course, at the same time, a breeder should strive to sell healthy rabbits.

Exactly.
There is one breeder I keep hearing about who has "Sick" rabbits, but I've travelled with her extensively as well as stayed at her house numerous times and never once have I witnessed a sick rabbit. I know some people will try and increase their sales by bad mouthing other breeders. Usually they end up digging themselves into a deep hole.

thank you. that helps to clarify things for me.

Mouth shut from here on forward regardless :)<br /><br />__________ Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:16 pm __________<br /><br />But how do you handle it when someone asks what a bunny is like because they haven't seen it.

How you answer the question without it seeming like you are badmouthing a rabbit or a breeder? When you like the rabbit BUT you see a problem with it? Do you just say sorry I can't answer that question? How do you say, it's a good rabbit but _____ might be an issue given that you told me that you want thus and such in your rabbits?

If keeping my mouth shut and never answering a question is what I need to do then so be it, but AHH!!!!! If someone asks for a second opinion can it be offered without a breeder getting offended?

I'm starting to think that this is too hard. Maybe I'll just stay out of the world of rabbit showing and stuff and just try to raise nice bunnies and ignore everyone else.

Just sell to the pet crowd and ignore the larger world......

I agree with April
I share honest experience I have had but preface it with it may have been a one off

I deal with this issue all the time in rescues ... and my policy is the same - if I have first hand knowledge I share it good or bad - otherwise I zip it

If someone asks me about a rabbit from a breeder I will be honest about it. If it has bad shoulders I won't candy coat it and say that "They're not bad" I'll openly say it has bad shoulders. Not to offend the breeder, but because the rabbit has bad shoulders. I think honesty is key if it is the truth. For every two faults you should at least try for one good point. I.E. Bad shoulders, poor fur, an amazing head/ear. I'm willing to overlook a fault if it has something I need in my herd.

I do it on my own animals as well if someone asks about something I have on my for sale page, and they're interested in showing or for brood I'll be open and say such and such is wrong with this rabbit, because there is a reason I'm selling it. Usually if the person is patient I'll sell them one of my show rabbits (Unless I have nothing remotely related to said rabbit).

I would say just keep your mouth shut until you have a bad experience with said person. I recently had an experience with a buyer who claimed the rabbits I sold them were sick. Then they kept the best one, and sold the other two for a profit after I had refunded their money. They claimed they had the snuffles and were supposed to put them down. I saw the rabbit they kept back at a show today. She looked pretty healthy to me. It goes both ways. You have bad breeders, and you have bad buyers.

I have a friend who is a fantastic breeder with some great stock, she told me that after doing extensive research she believes all rabbits carry a subclinical case of pasturella and that if they get 'down' for whatever reason, stress, poor living conditions, w/e they will break with it. The thing to do is breed for rabbits with strong immune systems to avoid them ever getting that far down to break with the illness.

Skykomish":2ac2on46 said:
I have a friend who is a fantastic breeder with some great stock, she told me that after doing extensive research she believes all rabbits carry a subclinical case of pasturella and that if they get 'down' for whatever reason, stress, poor living conditions, w/e they will break with it. The thing to do is breed for rabbits with strong immune systems to avoid them ever getting that far down to break with the illness.

70% of rabbits carry the bacteria. Which can turn into full blown pasturella if their immune system becomes compromised (i.e. Stress, poor living conditions etc)

Skykomish":23x59ji2 said:

my research and the latest from my vets seems to be in agreement - though I keep hearing 90% of rabbits are affected .. can't find an online accessible source for this but vet showed me three journal articles which all supported between 90% - 99% rates
I had a rabbit attacked by a cat who broke out with it .. quite alarming ..

As far as I cand tell by research, pretty much all rabbits have some sort of Pateurella. Actually, Pasteurella is a Genus that contains all kinds of different species which affect all sorts of animals. I don't remeber for sure, but I think their were 3 different species that infected domestic rabbits. The one we all worry most about, is and individual species of Paturella that has multiple "types" or "strains". Again, I don't remember exactly, but if can be found if one googles enough, most of the severere cases and deadly cases are caused by one or two strains. I sumerized the information either here or on HT, a month or so ago. Just have an old brain...and can't remember exactly.

Back