How to get BEW?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbrologan

Reaction score
How does a person come by a BEW? A friend of mine is asking and I am interested as well, so if any of you could explain that would be great.

Thanks
Logan

blue eyed white mini rex.

as to how you get them?

find carriers and breed them.
OR find a breeder who has them.
You could check with ARBA and go through the mini rex directory to see if you can locate a breeder near you.

all you have to do is introduce the vienna gene into your herd. In order to get BEW both parents have to carry the vienna gene. Although I don't usually stereotype but a lot of bews seem to have genetic issues with having seizures and general poor health and it is really really hard to come by a good one.

I think I have a blue eyed white in a litter here. My guess is I'll have no trouble selling it as blue eyed white kits tend to sell well here...at least until people get to know the BEW personality. :)

i have a blue eyed mini rex, but it has a calico coat. is it possible to get a bew mini rex by crossing it on something? what?

I think the two whites and one extremely light grey in Pearl's litter might have blue eyes. They're 2 1/2 weeks old now, and their eyes look dark blue-grey right now. I guess only time will tell.

They also might be ermines, which are commonly mixed up with BEW's. BEW's should have a brilliant blue iris color, while ermines typically have the blue/grey or even violet-looking iris. Many have softly shaded points (nose/tail) and some have an overall grey cast to their coat. My girl Dawn is an ermine/frosted pearl here and you can't see here eyes well, but they are dark blue (not bright blue):

LilyGreen1a.jpg

And here she is as an adult (eyes are slate/dark blue-gray):

Lily01-26-2010C.jpg

Hope this helps!

Lauren

HendricksHearth":1akrbtg2 said:
They also might be ermines, which are commonly mixed up with BEW's. BEW's should have a brilliant blue iris color, while ermines typically have the blue/grey or even violet-looking iris. Many have softly shaded points (nose/tail) and some have an overall grey cast to their coat. My girl Dawn is an ermine/frosted pearl here and you can't see here eyes well, but they are dark blue (not bright blue):

And here she is as an adult (eyes are slate/dark blue-gray):

Hope this helps!

Lauren

Actually, it does! Devon's mom said that Pearl is almost certainly an ermine with a chinchilla gene, producing a white rabbit, and that her spots, being only on the tips, would be smut. So if she's an ermine, I assume it wouldn't be difficult for her to produce ermines, even if bred to a chestnut.

I was kind-of wondering if BEWs ever had blue-grey eyes, because all the pictures I had seen they had bright blue eyes. Thanks! :)

BEW Mini Rex can have immune problems, they have a tight gene pool, thats why its so important to cross them out to other colors and use vienna carriers in your breeding program. The best way to get BEW's is to get a buck or doe and breed it into your lines, improving health and conformation with each generation. You must have that first BEW or two vienna carriers to start though.

Big blue eyed breed is Beverens, I wanted them so bad but no more big bunnies for me!!

I purchased a BEW fuzzy lop, for $100. 10 days later, I went to the barn and her head was completly tilted. Treated for 2 months, she'd get a little better then WHAM, head back to the ground. I eventually had to put her down, she started rolling.

Sweetest doe ever. I will have a BEW one of these days, pet only, and probably not a fuzzy lop. I am not interested in making BEW, but do love the blue eyes.

Good luck!

I actually have two brown eyed rabbits, that when bred together, produced a marked, blue eyed rabbit. I had also purchased a Blue eyed buck, that unfortunatley, stuck his head into the wire a couple weeks ago-- I wanted to cover the Vienna carrying doe with him---
It is my understanding, if you have a BEW and breed to a REW, you will have a bunch of Blue eyed babies-- blue being dominant over the ruby. Amchins have marbled blue and brown eyes,I will be covering some REW NZs and CALs with my buck-- I'll try to remember to tell ya what I get as far as eye color is concerned.

The vienna gene is totally different than the Rew. Rew is lack of colour or cc. The vienna gene is written as v, so to get blue eyed white you need two vv's together. Breeding to rew will get you anything that is hidden by the rew plus a whole assortment of various vienna-marked. the vienna gene is weird and doesn't always show up in carriers, other times you will get dutch-type markings and sometimes even blue eyes but no white! it is incompletly or co-dominant with other stuff. there are many many breeds that have BEWS. It is a very old mutation that has been around for quite a while. Some of the older breeds would be Polish, the Beveren and also the Netherland.

REW is dominant over BEW, and it is not a good idea to add REW to BEW lines. Both REW and BEW are recessives, and must be carried or expressed to be produced. If you bred a REW to a BEW you would get all colored vienna carriers, unless the BEW carried REW. You would not get BEW's. If you bred two BEW's that both carried REW you would get both REW and BEW kits, I know of this happening. Technically all the kits would genetic BEW, with the REW pigment removing gene changing the eye color to red.

REW carriers often show no outward signs of it, sometimes stray whites. BEW 'Vienna' carriers can and do express that they are carriers in some interesting ways. They can be colored and have blue eyes, or parti blue eyes. They can be Dutch marked, or they can just have a face blaze or a touch of white on their nose. Or and this is my particular favourite, they are silvered, I have this incredible black otter doe that is heavily silvered, she's really neat! Or, they can show no outward signs at all. Very interesting gene. Think in Europe Continental Giants come in BEW, now that must be neat!!

I am new to the "Rabbit Talk" forum... and came across this topic. I have a VIENNA MARKED (not BEW like originally posted) Lionhead doe. I LOVE her blue eyes. I bred her to my Broken Fawn Holland Lop ( for lionhead lop babies ) and two of those ended up with blue eyes as well. I have a picture of her, and of one of her babies I will post. Rabbits are so neat!!!

1yjt4y.jpg

here is one of her babies:

24y0k5s.jpg

Cute!!! However your Lionhead doe is actually a Vienna Marked not a full BEW otherwise she would be all white. Did your 2 vc babies get a mane? He certainly has a nice mug head!!

Back