not breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
As I've stated before, I have a few Cremes that I've been trying to get bred for about a month or two now. I don't know what's going on, maybe I'm doing something wrong. I put the doe with the buck, he tries to mate with her immediately, but she just won't lift. I've sat with them anywhere from 5-20 minutes with no luck. I don't want to leave them together unsupervised because this particular doe has gotten a bit nippy with my buck in the past. They are both nearly 8 months old now, and I'm starting to wonder if I will ever get her bred. I only have the one buck, so I can't try her with another buck unless I work something out with another rabbit owner and drive well over an hour to get there.

What could I be doing wrong? At first I though maybe she was lazy because it was still too warm. Now I think it may be too cold. I have checked her time and time again but her genital region never seems to darken up. I'm really starting to get frustrated. I've tried moving them into cages next to one another, switched cages over night, put them together nearly every day and still nothing. Any advice?

I had a similar problem. Check out all of the great advice I got on "Doe does not like Buck" in meat rabbits. It finally did work and she took with 6 kits but I did have to force her and I put her in there quite a few times with the buck over a 48 hour period.
She is a great mom and even flips the kits over to help with the nursing. She just had her own agenda and it did not include my buck. :(

Robin, what are you feeding your rabbits?

The reason I ask is that commercial feeds, while complete, can sometimes lose nutrients over time. Vitamin A and Vitamin E are both important for breeding rabbits. You could try supplementing their diet with small quantities of wheat germ or black oil sunflower seeds for Vitamin E and dark leafy greens like dandelions for Vitamin A. It may not be the problem, of course, but it won't hurt to try these things. If your rabbits are not accustomed to greens, go slowly starting with just a leaf or two at a time and build it up from there.

You could also try stimulating the doe yourself That is what IU did prior to MArsha finally taking her first time...

MaggieJ":2i6ynryt said:
Robin, what are you feeding your rabbits?

The reason I ask is that commercial feeds, while complete, can sometimes lose nutrients over time. Vitamin A and Vitamin E are both important for breeding rabbits. You could try supplementing their diet with small quantities of wheat germ or black oil sunflower seeds for Vitamin E and dark leafy greens like dandelions for Vitamin A. It may not be the problem, of course, but it won't hurt to try these things. If your rabbits are not accustomed to greens, go slowly starting with just a leaf or two at a time and build it up from there.

Pelleted Rabbit feeds will lose their nutritional value after three months.
You can package in smaller [10#] and store in a freezer to retain nutritional
value a bit longer if you do not/can not use your feed quickly enough.
You have to be careful with Vitamin A, as too much causes the same symptoms
as too little. I agree with the rest of the post.
Just wanted to ad my 25c.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Very true, Ottersatin, but excess Vitamin A would only happen if you dosed a rabbit with a high concentration. Since rabbits are herbivores and in nature consume large amounts of Vitamin A in the plants they live on, you don't need to be concerned about the amount they will receive from an extra serving of dandelion greens or parsley (another good source).

I forgot to mention that I've tried holding her for the buck, but when I do that he is more interested in me than her, maybe thinking he's going to get a treat or something.

I wonder, are squash seeds ok to give to rabbits? The reason I ask is that I have a TON of acorn squash (I feel like that's all we've been eating lately, lol).
Also, what is the ideal amount of light for stimulating them, hours wise?

Acorn squash seeds are fine to give to rabbits. They are quite nutritious and also contain a natural wormer. When we have squash, the rabbits get the peel, seeds and pulp. They can eat all parts of the squash, but we want the flesh for ourselves.

There is a difference of opinion about whether day length and lighting levels affect the rabbits' desire to breed. I've never noticed that they are more reluctant when the days are short. I do not supplement their lighting at all. I do find that they are more likely to be eager on a sunny morning than when it is damp and cloudy. Maybe it just puts them in a good mood, same as it does people.

Back