Sore Hocks: Medicate or Cull?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyndseyrk

Reaction score
A month ago, I found that my favorite doe had developed sore hocks. Didn't think it was going to be that big of a deal...had one dime-size raw/scabby spot on each foot. I separated her from the others and put her where I could give her daily attention to the problem. I placed all board in her cage, minus her potty corner. Been applying neosporin and/or Bag Balm daily to the area. Well, it's been a month and it's only gotten worse. I figured she'd be good as new by now. Front feet/toes are swollen and it looks as though its now getting infected. Yesterday, I moved her from her cage to a solid-bottom dog crate with bedding. She seems more comfortable that way. Problem is that I can't keep her feet clean. She tears off wrappings and bedding and hay stick to her medicated feet. She also licks them alot (can't blame her). They are BAD. Did some reading up on the subject (never really experienced this before) and some recommend putting them on Baytril. She's a meat mutt. Do I just put her out of her misery now and save herself suffering and my time and energy or put her on antibiotics? Any other suggestions?

After a month, I would put her out of her misery.

Usually sore hocks improves in 10 days with the treatment you are giving her.

My son's French Lop was once in similar shape and he was all cleared up in 2 weeks with hay bedding (change daily) and bag balm.

The swelling toes makes me think the infection is spreading.

Have a good day!

Could she be sitting in her waste? That would make the condition worse. Maybe take out all but one small board for her to rest on.

AprilW":25u04rf7 said:
Could she be sitting in her waste? That would make the condition worse. Maybe take out all but one small board for her to rest on. But if it has been a month I agree that I'd cull her.

Well, I think that's how it all started. She had a winter box with bedding in it in her outdoor hutch. She has good potty habits, and had never soiled her box. She spent alot of time in it, and I trusted her that she didn't soil it. Well, apparently she started to, without me knowing and still sat in it. That's when I noticed the sore hocks. She no longer has a box for that reason. I did have just the one board in with her, and she stayed on it constantly. Pretty much never moved.

And yet, more bad rabbit luck for me. Why can't this ever work the way its supposed to?

Well, I'm one of those never-say-die types. What if you lined the bottom of the cage with the rabbit resting boards that let the poo and pee fall through? (Bass carries them, and I've also seen them at TSC. I have one in each of my Cals' cages.) That way she wouldn't continue to soil her feet, and maybe they'd have a chance to heal. I'm also wondering whether injectable penicillin/bicillin would help. I think I would probably also bring her inside, at least into a garage or something, until she heals up.

Puff has to have a plastic grate on the bottom if his pen or he has issues (more holding wetness than sores but similar issue)

if she was my favourite I wouldn't give up - I'd adjust her environment til I found something that suited her :)

It is difficult when they are favorites- I'm sorry to hear about her hocks. :( Do you plan to breed her to potentially keep any of her babies? I ask because I have read that there is a probable genetic component to sore hocks and I am sure that being prego wouldn't help anything if she has problems now. I guess I would say that if she just a pet then I would keep working on trying to heal her, but if she is for production then I would probably think she should be culled if nothing else because it would be hard on her and it might be propagating the same issue for the next generation. Not an easy decision though for sure- I wish you the best of luck!

Lauren

I've been sucked in! Can't do it! Yesterday some of the swelling and redness has subsided, and I came up with an alternative to keep her feet clean and dry (totally forgot that I have several large rubber slatted mats that are designed for dog kennels, two fit nicely in her cage where it's softer than wire and cleaner than bedding). Contacted the vet, and should be able to pick up some Baytril today w/o appointment. Hopefully, I can get her feet straightened up, get her weight back up, and get some more meat babies out of her...don't know that she'll ever make it to the stew pot as yesterday I left her crate door open when I went to get her water. When I turned around, she was right behind me, following me! Oops. I already made a pet out of her! As hard as it may be, can't keep any of her future babies.
P2240001.jpg

She's such a lovely bun... glad she seems to be doing better. She sounds like a sweetheart, following you around like that! You may not be able to keep any of her babies, but at least she can still produce meat bunnies for you! :)

Well, after antibiotics from the vet and a different ointment, it was still getting worse. Her 1st toe on her front foot was so swollen it was the size of a normal foot. Dh put her down today. Since she was on the antibiotic, we couldn't eat her...so the critters out in the back acreage got her. Ad that to another list of first for me.... :(

I'm so sorry - sometimes despite our best efforts they just don't respond the way we want them too ...

what a lot she taught you though - enjoy the happy memories

and that's a HUGE lesson

my version of it?
ignore NOTHING with prey animals - it can become a big problem long before they'll admit anything is wrong

Back