Aggressive doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
I have a 7 month old NZ doe that we are breeding for the first time. She's dark red in the vulva area, and when we put her in with the buck, she's squirting all over like a horse in full blown heat. She refuses to breed, and she gets extremely aggressive toward the bucks, biting, and having a regular knock down drag out fight. We've tried her with a couple different bucks, and get the same thing.

Since she is a first time breeder, I'm sure she's just maybe not sure what is happening. What would you suggest we do? Leave her mature a bit longer, or keep trying her? I'm not leaving her in with the buck unsupervised, or something bad will happen I'm sure, she's being that aggressive.<br /><br />__________ Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:14 pm __________<br /><br />I should also maybe add, on her own, she's a very quiet doe, and not aggressive at all. Her sister just bred without any issues also.

How large is she,
has she reached Senior weight?
If she has not I would give her some time,
if she is as heavy as she should be I would
try to breed her every day for up to four days.
Within that time frame she will/should breed.
There are only four days out of the month
that rabbits are not receptive.
Unless there are some other underlying reasons.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I would stick her in a cage next to the buck for about 2 weeks and then try again. She'll be more familiar with the buck and might chill a little.

Thanks for the help! :) She's a little over 8 lbs.<br /><br />__________ Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:37 pm __________<br /><br />I think I'll make that cage switch tonight when we do chores, it's a great suggestion!

Back