Minimum and maximum temperatures?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Legacy, I'd love to know what kind of set up and breed(s)you have?

Well, right now, I have mostly meat rabbits for our own family so we have a lot of meat mutts (cali/nzw/flemish mixes)as well as standard rex and satins.

We have a very large chicken pen that surrounds a big group of mature live oak trees. We have our rabbit cages set under those trees in the pen. It is usually a couple of degrees cooler under the trees than it is under a non-natural shade. And the pen keep predators from being a problem.

We have one set of cages built for almost free by my dh using this guy's cage as a guide. It's fantastic. Then I have 2 other sets of cages that I got from the flea market with 3 wholes each.

I'm not sure what I will do in the winter. Last winter, my rabbits were in a colony, this year, I have cages so I am not sure how I'm going to make sure they stay warm enough. I was thinking of hinging a piece of plywood on the cage my dh built so that it can be brought down over the side but I'm not sure if they would get enough fresh air that way.

When using the natural tendencies of hot air to rise-- the exhaust 'openings' in building peaks need to be large enough to handle the 'flow'---- otherwise, the hot air layer gets thicker.
In Physics Class-- we considered air as a liquid-- so think like that when planning the sizes of openings-- A pound of hot air is much 'larger' than a pound of cool air-- and the exits must be appropriate-- that is why blowers and fans help with the exhausting of the hot air.

Ridge vents (practically invisible inside and out) can help move a lot of hot air- provided the airflow to them is unobstructed. I Love watching the turbine vents spin on hot days-- That is a sure sign the passive cooling system is working!

Also-- Consider this-- the "raised center aisle" design of many horse barns is ideal for passive cooling methods, as the heat rises to an area that the animals are not occupying. I should think, even with a shorter barn or outbuilding, following the same design, would be beneficial.

I like the cage in that link but for Texas heat, It would probably be better to make the back out of the wire that the front is made of (which I wouldn't use chicken wire for unless I had it in a fence that dogs couldn't get to) and then hinge the plywood where it could cover the back in the winter but leave it open in the summer for the breeze.

Definitely make the sides or the back wire and don't use chicken wire. Even rabbits themselves can tear chicken wire. The only use for chicken wire is to keep poultry in and nothing else or nothing out.

i keep my rabbits in a concrete floored building with an attic, the rabbit area can heat up to 98 although i can usually keep it much cooler with fans and spraying the walls and driveway outside with water. i haven't had problems with sterility yet. i can't be much help with minimum temp because it always stays pretty toasty in there in the winter even without a heater. the attic provides great insualtion and the walls are brick with insualtion too so i usually don't have a problem with it getting super cold.

Any info on minimum temperatures for baby rabbits? I have some that will be 3 weeks old tuesday that I'd like to move to an outdoor hutch/grow out pen. We're currently getting temps during the day between 60-80 and at night 40-60. A couple light frosts but usually nothing close to freezing until Halloween.

If the kits are with their Dam,
and she has built a substantial nest,
they are protected from direct winds
they should be fine. My Does Kindle year-round [upstate N.Y.]
and they do just fine. I will bring a nestbox in the house only
when we get an extreme bout of COLD weather.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I guess what quanities as "COLD" though? They are no longer in the nest they are drinking & eating on their own and driving her a little nuts. I'm not positive they are still nursing. I have the nest in there but they just play in it.

The outdoor hutch I"m considering has a wire area with a solid roof & back and a solid area .

I feel that three weeks old is a bit young to separate them from their momma, even if they are not nursing. Unless she is pregnant and nearly due to kindle, they are likely still getting some milk and they may still be using the nest box at night, even if they only play in it during the day. If mom needs a break, can you give her something to jump up on so that the kits can't bug her? Or perhaps pull her out to a quiet place for a few hours during the day? It can be an awkward phase, but fortunately it doesn't last long.

When you do move them to the grow out pen, I suggest giving them a cardboard carton with hay inside. Seal it up and cut a couple of kit-sized holes in the side for doorways. It will give them a cozy place to shelter if the temperatures drop and will also provide them with hours of fun while they remodel it.

Oh, momma would go with them. The hutch is just massive...I think it's ten feet long by 2 feet. They are in a 'XXL' cage right now but I would prefer they have more room. They are also still going for milking visits to 'bad momma' every morning but she's starting to wean them as well.

They are between 12 oz to 1 lb each currently. I'm thinking this is very large for a dutch baby.

Sounds like a great set-up for them. I'd put in some kind of a box - nest box or cardboard as I suggested - and go ahead with the move. Having momma along makes a difference... You don't want too many changes at one time as it can stress the kits.

12-16 oz. does sound large for three week old Dutch kits. :)

Everyone is moved and rather happy. Those baby bunnies can move FAST. I weighed them...I must have been wishful thinking...they are all between 10oz to 12oz. They are 19 days old today. Everyone was eating and drinking when I just went out to visit them.

We have our setup in an old barn that we've turned into our goat barn. The rabbits are on the wall of the day "loafing" area for the goats. It's a concrete floor and since it's washed twice daily to help curb the fly population there is alot of evaporation that cools down the barn very well. The old barn has a natural "draw" of air that flows through it (the old timers were dang smart)and, I have put a "Dutch door" (opens on top and bottom) on the entrance to the barn and filled in alot of the openings that helped draw such a great draft in order to keep out the rain. I can open the top section of the door to create a draft and leave the bottom section closed for security. I also keep a fan running 24/7 just for piece of mind. I have a bottle system for watering at this time but, will be finishing up a 55 gal bulk tank watering system soon. The rabbits are watered twice a day and then I had to still put 2 wateres on a couple of the cages to satisfy the needs of some of the senior does. Cool fresh water as much as possible helps. My next step since it is getting into the mid 90s here was frozen water bottles. They love them and it will cool down the cage even further. The bottles won't stay frozen all day but, last for some time and I feel that there is nothing more that I can do to keep my rabbits cool.
In the winter I will simply shut the doors on our barn and since we don't have alot of "killing cold" here I feel all mine will be just fine in the winter.
My security system may be some what more expansive than what most have since we are protecting our goats as well but, we have a 1 acre "day pen" for the goats that is 4x4 woven wire with a run of electric on the top and bottom and we also have Zues. Meet Zues..
156200_303735416373918_100002123856771_686431_1397161315_n.jpg

He is a fluffy fur ball in this picture but, he has grown A LOT since then. When Gus, our buck, jumped from his cage when I turned to get some greens and landed in the floor he almost landed on Zues. I thought "Oh lord Gus is a goner". Zues did not hurt Gus at all, only sniffed him and stood there.I ended up leaving Gus on the floor and Zues followed him around as he explored the barn while I finished up my chores. I had let Zues smell all the rabbits when he was small and he watchs them when they are active in their pens so he is acclimated to them and see them as something else to protect. We have coyotes, coons, dogs and bears (eating our black berries now) and we have yet to have a single problem with our set up. Zues even barks and meets the cows at the fence in a protective manner when they get to close. He even barks at strangers when they come to see the our animals or watch us milk our goats. I was never a fan of Great Pyranesse (sp) but, I guess that he's started to grow on me.

MOVING BUNNIES TO GARAGE IN MIDDLE OF CANADIAN WINTER: I have a 1 year old mini rex (Dennis Hopper) and a 6 month old mini lop (Hobbes). I have been forced to move the bunnies out to the garage after having always lived inside. I think Hobbes is fine because he's hopping around and binkying, but Dennis seems a little less enthused. He is generally much calmer than the younger one, but I'm concerned considering his fur is thinner than the lop's. It could also be due to the fact that Dennis is fixed, while Hobbes is not. I should also mention that they are in separate cages because they tend to fight. This means no snuggling :(

I live in Southwestern Ontario (Canada) and the temperature is consistently below 0C at night and during the day. My dad has placed a small heater out in the garage in an attempt to warm the bunnies. I suggested he bring Dennis in at night until he's developed a thicker coat but I've also seen comments saying that this could do more harm than good because the rabbits are sensitive to drastic temperature changes. Any suggestions? Will they acclimate? Should I bring them in and out until they're used to it or just leave them out there? I am currently ensuring they have fresh LIQUID water in the morning and at night and have lined the cages with towels and blankets on the bottoms and wrapped the walls 3/4 of the way around their cage for insulation. Any advice, suggestions or confirmation of what I'm doing is okay, will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Amy, :welcomewagon:

Yes, Dennis sounds like his nose is a bit out of joint at the move. As for temps, if you really think they are not warm enough, I would suggest that a cardboard box stuffed with hay will provide plenty of warmth for any rabbit. Also, covering the front of the cage at night will keep it much warmer in there ... rabbits generate something like 1.5 Btu of warmth.

As it is, you have the cages wrapped with insulating materials, so that should be enough. You might want to move the water source under the insulation which will keep it liquid longer.

I would recommend that you do NOT use a space heater in the garage. You are right that moving bunnies into and out of warmer conditions can cause problems, but as long as the bunnies are free from drafts, inside an insulated garage, in insulated cages, with a box of hay for warmth, they should be just fine.

Mine actually live in wire cages outside (temps 0C and below day and night) with a wooden box and all the hay they want for warmth. And, they do get the breezes, but with the shelter box, they can get out of the wind as they wish.

As always, keep a close eye on how they are acclimating to the new location and they will "tell" you how they are doing.

BTW - any pics of the new digs???? You know, we require photos :p

AnnClaire,

Thanks so much! You've put my mind at ease. I've attached a few pics below showing their new setup, the temperature in the garage with the heater, and then a couple cute pictures of when they're happiest :)

We left Hobbes out in the garage for the night because he seems to be enjoying the cold, but Dennis is in for the evening. We might try an overnighter in a few days if he's still doing well during the day.

I'll keep you posted with how they're doing. And again, thank you!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 4,697
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 4,697
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 4,697
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 4,697
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 4,697
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    233.8 KB · Views: 4,697
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 4,697
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 4,697
Amy, it looks like you are doing an OUTSTANDING job of spoiling those bunnies completely, thoroughly ROTTEN :p Keep up the good work! :p

Best advice is buy your stock from some place with the same climate as your going to raise your buns in. One of the many reasons I went with the breeder I chose.

Back