Ummm is she bred?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin S.

Reaction score
We bred my doe in the middle of last month, after the the hottest days looked to be behind us. Like a dummy I forgot to write down what day it was, and now I am really beginning to wonder. She was tended to a couple times by the buck, who did what he is supposed to do when done, but she doesn't look pregnant, for what thats worth. Any other signs or things to look for? I put a nest box in with her about a week ago. She isn't pulling hair(though it falls out easy), and I can't really feel anything on her stomach. How long should I wait to try again? We did have a couple of very hot days after we bred her, could that have caused a problem?

Dates are important because rabbits give no clues they are bred. Many don't feel any different and my castor mini rex doe is just firm and straight the day before she pops out 5 or 6 kits. Some don't pull fur and hollow out a nest until after they've put kits there. There are also false pregnancies where the doe will make nests really early and then no kits. If you don't know the date you have no idea when to give up waiting and rebreed or if the doe is attempting nesting far too early and probably not bred.

Yeah, I goofed bad. I meant to go back inside and write it down, and got distracted. I am pretty sure it was the week of the 15th, even if it was the following week should be safe to rebreed at the end of the month right?

Do you carry a cell phone that has a calender built into it? I carry my blackberry with me all the time, and log everything into my calender. I don't always remember to write stuff down either, but I always log it in the blackberry because it's always in my pocket. Even just a very brief note so I remember who and what. I can then always go back on my breeding folder to log everything down by just going back on my blackberry.

One thing I also did, at the request of my hubby, was put name tags on all the cages. It has feeding info, for when the neighbor feeds for us, age, and also either a rebreed date or nestbox date. Just a quick few strokes with a black sharpie, and you got everything you need.

Back