My rex rabbit is EVIL right now.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbrologan

Reaction score
I got my black otter rex about 2 weeks ago, she was fine, a little skittish but now she is PURE evil right now, she tries to bite me when I feed her, when I try to pet her and she has just gone crazy. She's due to have babies in about a week if that helps but what is going on?

Thanks,
Logan

During pregnancy, the hormone levels change and this affects the doe's behaviour. Sometimes nice does become "evil" sometimes nasty does become sweet. Some does stay more or less the same as always. Chances are good that she will be nicer again after she has the babies. She may stay nasty until their eyes are open and they are hopping around. There is no way to know for sure. There is also no way to be certain whether she will be like this during future pregnancies. Aren't rabbits fun! ;)

Best thing to do, in my opinion, is to talk nicely to her, offer her healthy treats through the wire so that she associates you with nice things and keep your hands out of the cage as much as possible. If she will use a water bottle and J-feeder, you will not need to open her cage very often. If she is using a crock at present, please be sure she understands the water bottle though before removing her crock... Water is very important, especially for a pregnant or nursing doe. Good luck with her... hope this "evil" stage is short-lived. It may be worse right now because she has not had all that much time to get to know and trust you.

I agree with maggie - its probably just her hormones from being due soon. SHe is starting to become protective of her babies. I had a mini rex doe full blown attack me once, after though she was fine and back to normal.

make sure you have something between you and her if you need to go into the cage.
A piece of wood, a barrier of any sort that you can hold easily and still do what you need to do.
it allows her to be protective of "HER" space and yet teaches her that hurting you just isn't going to happen.

I completely agree with the above posts- one of my does goes through a pretty significant change when she is pregnant. She isn't completely crazed, but she is tense, skittish, and noisy depending on what I am doing with her or to her cage/babies. I am very careful just in case she decides to go for broke. After the babies are a bit older and are leaving the nestbox, she calms down and by the time they are weaned she is her old sweet self again.

Best of luck,

Lauren

I agree. Pearl, according to Mom, went totally berserk the night before she kindled. :roll: She's still a little skittish' but sweet.

Back