vicious doe?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjlattimore88

Reaction score
is it only me but my new zealand white is so vicious i mean i tried to pet her the she tried to rip me up is it just me or is anybody else in the same situation

Every now and then you get rabbits like that. Particularly does it seems. Sometimes they'll chill after you breed them and produce just fine and other times they are best culled. Spaying might solve the problem if someone wanted a pet but the cost makes it not worth the experiment so generally such a rabbit is best off given to someone who fully knows what they are getting or butchered. I did get a litter out of my demon rabbit but I butchered her and all her doe offspring keeping only the friendliest buck to attempt to keep some of her good characteristics while getting rid of the insanity by diluting her line twice with very good tempered rabbits.

yea she just had her first litter they are 4 weeks now and im thinking about pulling them from her to start weaning but she is vicious in every since of the word i think i may have to cull her after i get my silver fox litter out of her they will be half silver fox half NZW

Is she being vicious or is she being a cage-protective mommy? Some does are like that when they feel their "territory" being threatened....of course, that does not mean you should put up with it. But, does she only do that when you try to pet her inside the cage? What happens if you take her out? Or CAN you take her out? I bet she chills out after you breed her, I would go ahead and do it now.

I agree with OneAcreFarm,
I had a White Satin doe that was the picture of Nasty,
but when she had a litter of kits she was as sweet as Sugar!
She just enjoyed be pregnant and having children around her.
Each rabbit has it's own personality, if they can't
get with the program hard choices must be made.
Best of luck with your Demon!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I wouldn't rule out keeping a doe or 2 from her offspring. I had a truly evil rabbit I raised from a kit with all the attention in the world. She insisted on being evil. Her kits were large and healthy and she was an excellent mother so I kept one. She has all her mom's good traits and none of the bad ones except a bit of aggression when she's pregnant. Other times she's a wonderful rabbit and has successfully raised back-to-back litters (we had a buck escape) by keeping them away from each other till the first litter weaned. The mean ones often tend to be the greatest mothers.

We had a doe that was just evil when she had kits. I hated handling her at any time, it was her mission to scratch me as much as she possibly could. She was culled. I just can't tolerate that behavior.

Back