New to Breeding..Help me out, please?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I plan on breeding my doe early next month, and this will be my first time breeding bunnies! I know I need a nest box, and to take the doe to the buck for them to mate, and to feed her well.. But what else should I absolutely know? Anything for the mom..And what about when the babies come? Do I need to clean out the nezt box often?

Anything you can tell me, please do.

I'm hoping my baby does well as a momma, because that runs on her mom's side. And I'm hoping everything will go well, because I'd be devastated to lose her :(

:bunnyhop:

time will tell how she does. Just relax. :)

breed her, make a nest box within two weeks. When she asks for a nestbox give it to her. Be sure to put it NOT in her potty corner. Let her play with it. Day 28 give her a whack more straw/hay to put in her box and then join the world in WAITING.

In Florida metal with a good amount of shavings or absorbent material in the bottom would probably be fine. Wood is harder to clean and sterilize so probably has little benefit in a place that does not see cold winters.

People use both with good results. I personally much prefer wood, in spite of the fact that it is harder to sanitize. Neither metal nor plastic breathe and condensation can form, especially in warm humid weather. A wooden nest box with a hardware cloth bottom is comfortable in all seasons. In winter, here, I would add a layer of cardboard under the wire for insulation, but in Florida that will not be necessary.

It is a good idea to clean out the nest box on Day 9, just before the kits' eyes open. This helps to prevent "nestbox eye", a type of eye infection that result from dirty nesting materials. One of those things where the proverbial ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

It's hot and humid here, and I use wooden nest boxes with floor wire bottoms. I set them in the sun for a couple of days to sanitize, making sure to angle them and adjust so that the sun reaches all inside.

I have tried putting cardboard under them like Maggie does in winter, but the does manage to pull it out. So I've quit trying that, and it doesn't seem to matter here, anyway. I'm certainly not in Ontario. :)

If you leave any cardboard sticking out, the does seem to find it irresistible. I cut it just a fraction smaller than the box. Since the wood is about 3/4 of an inch thick, it still covers the open space and the does don't realize it is there. You can also put it inside, but some does will tear it out, which isn't so good.

Thanks so much, guys :)

I'll keep all of this written down somewhere and have it ready when I need it.

What else could I ask.. What are the best medicines and antibiotics I could get in advance for the babies? I know the breeder I got my buck from gave Invectamin (or however its spelled) before each rabbit went to their new home.

And would you recommend Alfalfa for the kits, or just Timothy like I feed currently?

Thanks again, guys! :)

Latest posts

Back