Trouble Conceiving

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbrologan

Reaction score
Hi there all, Logan here. Haven't been on in a LONG time but I want to take a better interest in my rabbits and learn more about them. Anyways, I have a quick question for you all.

My Dutch doe is having great trouble conceiving. I've tried twice now and haven't had anything. I don't know what the problem is, I'm doing everything according to the books, and so is the buck as far as I know. I take her to the buck's cage, and he breeds her. However, she is just not conceiving, so I'm trying to figure out what I can do to make it happen. Do I leave them in with each other for an extended period of time? But I've heard that that isn't safe for either rabbit if a fight were to arise.

Basically, I would appreciate any help on the matter.

Thanks guys,
Logan

Hi Logan... Good to see you back here at RabbitTalk. :)

How old is your doe? Sometimes as a doe ages her ability to conceive diminishes. If she is even 3 or 4 years old this may be part of the problem.

And is she fat? When you run your hand down her spine, can you feel the vertabrae? A bit? A lot? Not at all? If "not at all", then your doe is likely too fat. For every bit of fat under the skin, there will be more in the body cavity around the ovaries and uterus. This can make it very hard for her to conceive.

If you think this may be the problem, try gradually cutting back on her pellets and feed more grass hay. Grass hay will let her feel full and content without giving her so many calories as pellets and she will gradually lose weight. You could likely cut the pellets by one quarter, a little at a time. If you feed a cup a day now, ease it back until she is getting 3/4 of a cup.

Being too fat may not be the problem in this case. Without knowing more, I am only guessing, but it happens a lot.

There is also the possiblity it could be a faulty buck... heat can cause temporary sterility. Do you know for sure your bucks aren't shooting blanks right now? (ie they have impregnanted other does recently)

The doe is about two years old, she was born on April 18, 2009.

I can feel the vertebrae, though very little, looks like this could possibly be the problem. I will try to cut her back and offer her more hay.

This buck has not impregnated anything yet in his life, only doe he's bred is this one, and nothing's happened.

Thanks for the answers guys.

I've been having the same problem with my californian doe. This is her 3rd attempt and I'm hoping she is pregnant this round. If you have your bucks outside in the heat, that can be a problem. I had my buck outside until I started to bring him inside. You said this is his first try, check her underside when they are done. Is her fur wet or wet near her "girlies"? Just keep trying!

It could be the buck. It's been a long hot summer. How's your weather been the past few weeks, Logan? You might have to just try again, once your weather cools off. If he's shooting blanks, he will need to to clear them and generate new sperm before he is fertile again.

sommrluv, no I haven't been doing that.

Maggie, the weather is slightly bipolar where I'm at, so not sure that that is it, but it may be.<br /><br />__________ Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:41 pm __________<br /><br />Just went and emptied out all the J-Feeders and put in exactly two-thirds cups in every single one, hopefully my herd will lose a bit of weight. And thanks all for the help.

Logan, my recommendation is to cut feed gradually to about three quarters of what you have been feeding to date. If you have been free-feeding, you may have to adjust the amounts until you hit a balance of what they need as opposed to what they want. Don't forget to give them lots of grass hay. :)

Back