Buck breeding age question.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzy9

Reaction score
At what age is a buck ready to breed, and fully understands his job?

3-5 months depending on his breed. some larger breeds might take longer. No harm in trying I would say, just supervise in case the doe turns on him. It would be nice to try him on a mild mannered doe too. I usually aim for 5 months for my NZ. For me they become more confident breeders with age, so if they are hesitant, don't count them out right away!

eco2pia":3h5onckz said:
For me they become more confident breeders with age, so if they are hesitant, don't count them out right away!

Thank you so much for the info! That is exactly why I was asking! :lol: I've tried my CA jr. buck twice now, and he's very laid back, and slow. I was losing hope with him. I'll just keep trying him, and letting him age then.

Be very patient up to a 10 mos-year. If he is still slow then you have a problem, but in smaller backyard rabbitries they don't get as much practice, you know? Also in my experience my bigger NZ boys are slower than the mutts who will top out at 7 lbs, so maybe he is gonna be big!

Thank you again! He is already big! I have his sister also, and they are both extremely nice size rabbits for their age. That's why I was getting a bit discouraged, but I'll just give him time, and practice. :lol:<br /><br />__________ Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:42 am __________<br /><br />I'm so proud of my Chuck the Buck! He successfully bred his first doe tonight! One hot to trot first time doe, and she stood perfectly still for him. :mrgreen: He's da man! :lol:

I think about 6 months.even some Netherland bucks are slow and hesitant in the beginning.I always keep extra bucks because i have had some does just refuse too breed certain bucks even though they were ready and bred immideately when with another buck.crazy rabbits.

We've actually come to realize that too curly, and how we are going to have to also make sure we've got ample breeding bucks in the herd. We wanted to breed 4 does last night, and only have 2 senior bucks, Chuck who is just starting his breeding duties, and another younger junior buck who isn't old enough yet. We're hoping to find another senior buck this weekend, when we go to look at some rabbits.

Back