Fruit flies

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
ah yes, went out this morning and found a 'swarm' of fruit flies in GloryB's cage. Not a big issue for me, but just imagine if someone with a PETA mentality saw that-- so, I pulled the tray, dumped in in my new 'raised beds' removed the offending, attracting piece of carrot, and now, no one can say a thing.... I am covering the beds with pieces of wood until I can get the poultry wire stapled over them-- I HATE for my planting areas to be turned into kitty litter boxes!!

My Patio is getting more and more crowded---

Manager likes not having to cut the grass behind my fence!! And I sure am helping with the 'weeding' around the building-- I keep snagging the dandelions and plantain!!

yeah i get the worst fruit flies in my barn during the summer. they usually stay in the trays and don't fly up into the cage, so i haven't done much about them. when i start to get real flies in the rabbit barn i have to make sure i dump the trays immediately so i don't get lots of larvae. so far i've been able to get the fly population down to nothing, but the fruit flies are still in the trays. D: kinda gross...

Fruit flies are a PITA but they are basically harmless. It just means something is fermenting and producing alcohol. Fruit flies are party animals. :D

My son watered the rabbits and i had water everywhere and a swarm of fruit flies.

Who doesn't have fruit flies.... My sister and her 2 cats in a condo ended up with fruit flies. Leave a bit of water and food sit out and you'll have fruit flies. You can take the normal fly traps and bait them with cheap wine instead and you'll catch a ton of fruit flies. We usually have 2 of those set up in the house because we leave fruits and veggies out for the birds and sugar gliders. It doesn't take alcohol to make fruit flies. Any moist food and water source (they'll live in your sink drains) will do it.

a faster cheap way to catch them: shop vac! we had a lot of apples one year and they took over my kitchen. shop vac cleaned them all up.

I don't really want to run around the whole house with a shop vac. Mine appear everywhere. There was 2 wandering around the bedroom a couple days ago but given their short lifespan and nothing to reproduce on in the bedroom I'm assuming they died. Without traps to attract them to a certain area they sit on the food dishes in the pet room, they fly around the bathroom, they fly down the kitchen sink drain, they wander in to the livingroom and sit on the windows....

when yu live in a house, keep things clean and put away-- exactly WHERE do they come from? I Know flees will lay dormant in a vacant house until the CO2 levels rise and stimulate the hatchings-- but gosh-- maybe ethylene gas stimulates their awakening?

We usually have 2 of those set up in the house because we leave fruits and veggies out for the birds and sugar gliders. It doesn't take alcohol to make fruit flies.

Latest posts

Back