Lionhead research

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
okay. since a couple people think Marsha's firs litter looks a bit Lion-headed, and Wilma's is turning out the same way, i went on a short research trip-- I am not happy :( It seems NO ONe knows exactly sure what went into the development of the european breed, and of course, people are kinda mum about the US breed development. 60 colors recognized in Europe, only 5 for the COD here in the US., and from what I found, only the tort has a single pass at a presentation.

The mini Rex buck I used over the ladies had, last summer, only a very small tuft between his ears-- his brother has a much larger tuft, Their father, a MR of unknown breeding, had a tuft midway between the two. So, I find that the tuft is probably an indicator of Single Mane genetics-(Mm)- that single mane genetics often fail to mature into full manes (in other words, youngsters look like better breed specimens than they will as adults)
As much as I want to keep Stoni's genetics, looks like I will be offering both MR boys for sale. I have decided I really don't like fuzzy bunny babies-- especially after fighting two of them to get their bottoms cleaned up--I need to find a MUCH smaller brush for cleaning up that area!!! tonight, I will use some thinning shears to cut back on the amount of fuzz they have-- To dangerous to try clippers when there is no one else to hold them---

Have you seen this site? http://lionheadrabbit.net/geninfo1breed.htm

I do know in the US we do have problems with the manes staying. Alot of times by the time they rabbits are SR's the mane is almost gone. My SR doe who is a single mane started out nice as a kit, now only has wool between her ears. Her daughter who is a double mane still has a great mane but she is a bit of a teddy. And my SR buck who is also a double mane has great wool, nice and thick, but his mane is not very long. Both of my double manes have wool on their flanks, which is supposed to be clean.

As far as keeping the kits bottoms clean; I have never had a problem with that. All of my kits seem to keep themselves clean. When we got our first doe though,she was pretty dirty and I had to soak her bottom to get it clean. But the guy we got her from didnt keep the cages too clean.

that is actually the site that provided most of the information-- it seems, in the US, some extra wool is okay on the flanks-- just 'not excessive' and to leave it to the judge-- I did notice-- the extra flank wool is growing where the kits were shaded darker when the fur was first coming in-- One kit, at 8 weeks, is losing some of that flank wool, and is still shaded just a tad darker in that area...

My sister has been raising and showing lionheads.she mixed hers with NEtherland Dwarf too get the size down and conform too type.Shes won several Best of breeds.She still has trouble with losing manes.

curlysue":2w2raam8 said:
My sister has been raising and showing lionheads.she mixed hers with NEtherland Dwarf too get the size down and conform too type.Shes won several Best of breeds.She still has trouble with losing manes.
Think she'd like some grey, chocolate, black, and VM?

curlysue":2ilpaqan said:
My sister has been raising and showing lionheads.she mixed hers with NEtherland Dwarf too get the size down and conform too type.

Yup, people have been breeding Lions to ND to decrease body & ear size. Also to EA to improve manes, but by doing this have also increased flank wool wich is a no no. Go figure, I would think it would have been better to try & improve the Lions by useing selective breeding within their own breed ... but then I have not had my first litter of baby buns as of yet (due Sept. 10th). I guess I am just thinking like a dog person (or a Vet. Tech.), as I bred & showed them for years.

Jane

I think the problem is the original stock that was imported had some problems with teeth and seizures etc. I guess because of their huge expense at the time those who got hold of them bred them willy nilly into other breeds just increase numbers and the gene pool. Now there seems to be a huge pool of Lionheads that don't really breed true...Some were bred to Mini rex to get the rex fur?? and some were bred to nethies and obviously a lot were bred to Jersey Woolies to get more wool..because we suddenly seem to have this "Teddy-Style". Unfortunately one cannot CHOOSE which genes to combine in the offspring!!

Latest posts

Back