Here's my dilemma and consideration....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
catcher - five kits, big mini rex doe nervous nellie of a momma
carrie - nine kits, not quite as big as catcher, very calm and quiet, mini rex
kendra - rescue meat rabbit, not a large girl, calm, occasional growler momma

catcher and kendra kindled on the 22, carrie on the 24

I am somewhat skeptical that carrie can raise nine kits

I am fairly certain that giving more to catcher will be ill advised as when I gave extra fur from kendra to her she dumped it out fairly quickly.

So I'm considering switching kendra and carrie's litters.

What think you?

I might have missed it, but how many kits did Kendra have? Can you just take 1 or 2 off Carrier and have Kendra foster them instead of swapping whole litters?

Best of luck,

Lauren

Kendra had six and they are growing like weeds. She's a meat bun.
Carrie is a mini rex, and with nine kits her kits are tiny compared to Kendra's right now.

You could always give two to Kendra to foster and see how Carrie does with seven instead of nine? Also, if you wanted to trick Catcher without stressing her out, you could give two of Carrie's to her to foster (then Carrie will only have 5) and at the same time apply a bit of vanilla under her nose since you said she is nervous. It will keep her from smelling the difference for a day or two and by then all should be well. I guess you could swap out entire litters if that is what you were hoping to do, but I would be careful because you don't want the does that are doing well to become upset also- maybe you could vanilla them if that is what you opt to do.

Best of luck,

Lauren

Back