Baby Bunny fell..... will it be okay?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatzNetherlands

Reaction score
I was taking our littlest baby out to nurse on mom, I lay the doe on her back, and put the baby on her teat and let him eat... it has really boosted him in health, but today I looked up and as soon as I did, the little guy 'poppled' and fell on to the floor... it was only about a foot and a half off the floor, but it was on cement.

I am so upset about it.... Do you think he will be okay?? He is still moving around and seems okay... I am just so worried he will be really messed up! He is only 6 days old......

The noice thing about baby bunnies-- they kinda 'splat' out wehen they hit the ground-- spreads out the impact-- I have had some fall from a lot higher up-- they were fine-- what is really interesting-- the young ones on upper level cages-- each had to fall out of the door once to understand one does not go out that door when it is open. Some babies will learn from the other's mishaps, too.

They bounce pretty good at that age. I think it would take more than that to do any real damge.

One of mine landed on cement on his face.. bloody nose, but was fine. However, the one who wobbled out of the cage and around the room before his eyes were open didn't do as well, since by the time I found him he was VERY cold... he's always been much smaller than the rest (when I kept the bunnies in the basement last winter I didn't heat that room in the basement).

re feeding runts with Momma....I've been changing tactics. Instead of flipping the doe and placing baby on her tummy, thus making momma unhappy, and the baby in a precarious position, I've been holding momma OVER baby bunny as baby sits on a towel on a table. gives baby a place to purchase with his feet, and mom just kind of lays there rolling her eyes at me. Baby wriggles under her and sucks upwards as he would do in a normal feeding. Gravity helping the milk go into his tummy.

I've had a couple drop from flipping the momma and this seems to work quite well.

I'm sure it will be just fine. :) I had one fall further than that too, out of it's cage to the concrete floor in the quarantine room. You would not have even been able to pick out which one it was, it was just fine, and i'm sure yours will be too.

Don't worry, It will probably be fine, we move our cages around a lot, so we put wheel's and wood on it so we can move it to warmer or cooler places, we had a litter and I opened the bedroom cage where the babies were kept, and one of them fell down banged it's head on the wood sticking out, and it started squirming around. It sounded like it was in a lot of pain, (This was a very tall 3 story cage!) it has been a day since, and it is walking around again. It looked fine and I was so sure it was going to die when I dropped it! But just today it was walking around just like the other rabbit's.

Welcome to RabbitTalk, BabyBunnyLover. :hi:

It's good to read old posts--you can learn a lot that way. But, please . . . don't add to ancient posts like this one. It's from 2011!
:zombiebun:

Same thing happened to me-- I was nursing the runt on the momma and she was mad and tried to flip herself over and she kicked the baby and it hit the wood floor and bounced and it got a deep scratch from mommas nails.... but it did live. I was surprised... also, I learned not to put neosoporin on scratches on baby rabbits their skin is too delicate and it makes it worse not better. But even with the bouncing on the floor and me putting neosporin on the scratch the baby lived.

Also I learned if your are going to flip the doe and nurse a runt sit on the ground, or a sofa with carpet on floor.

Hi, so I acidentally flipped my bunny over on its back to get something out of its mouth, and I heard that you can break your bunnys back if you do that. So i quickly flipped her back over and put her in her cage, and now she looks like she is just resting, will she be ok?

If your rabbit's back is broken it would be extraordinarily distressed, likely screaming, and unable to walk. Try to be gentler with your rabbit in the future. It is rare that a rabbit has something in its mouth that is so dangerous that it is worth risking hurting the rabbit to get it out.

Hi, so I acidentally flipped my bunny over on its back to get something out of its mouth, and I heard that you can break your bunnys back if you do that. So i quickly flipped her back over and put her in her cage, and now she looks like she is just resting, will she be ok?
Unless you're tossing and/or slamming them upside down, nothing like that should happen. Holding them upside down/on their back is fine for a small period of time, unless the rabbit is in distress or something's very wrong

Always be mindful of any creature's airway. Flipping babies on their backs when they've put something in their mouths can cause choking. Since bunny didn't choke, I'm sure it's fine. Turning baby on it's tummy and patting its back gently is a safer strategy. But I'm sure your little friend is fine this time.

Latest posts

Back