New bunny biting

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equestrian<3

Reaction score
So, you may or may not have seen my post earlier in the week about the netherland dwarf that we got on saturday that was not eating. We finally found a food he likes and he is now eating and drinking normally! Thank you everyone who helped me with that situation :D :D :D

Well now that he has some spunk back in him after not eating for 5 days, he seems to have taken a liking to biting :angry: My rabbit does not do that so I am not sure how to go about handling it. But, my 10 year old sister just came in my room crying, telling me that she was petting the rabbit and he bit her repeatedly in the same spot in just a few seconds. I went in there, thinking maybe she was handling him the wrong way so that it was hurting him (as 10 year olds might do without knowing) and he did it to me too! When I picked him up he bit me several times on my finger before I could even get my hand away.

Any suggestions for this one? When he did it (he did it several more times in the few minutes that I worked with him) I told him "No!" sternly, then continued on with what I was doing. I'm not sure how effective this was, if at all, but I wasn't sure what else to do.

Shades of the "Dog Whisperer"
You have got to be the Alpha and let that rabbit know
that He is NOT going to take advantage of you.
When you go to get him, press his head to the floor
of the cage or table you are working with. Hold him there
until he calms down. lessen the pressure, retain your hold
if he becomes agitated increase the pressure. Not enough to hurt,
just enough to show him that YOU have the upper hand and always will.
It make take more than a few short sessions but eventually he should
come around to your way of thinking. After all, you control his world,
you feed him, water him and perform all the other necessities to his
well-being. You hold the key if you know what I mean.
Without you on his side, all is lost!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Ok thank you :) I forgot to add that I actually was doing that but I wasn't sure if that was the right thing, but I will continue to do that

is he BITING or nipping? biting is breaking the skin, nipping is more of a I don't like what you are doing type of thing...like a precurser to actual biting. Good bunny for repeatedly warning you and not actually biting. :)

you can do the hand over the head thing pushing down before you do anything with him. It can help.

Saying NO! (or OW!), and flattening his head at the same time when he does something you don't like lends an immediacy to the lesson. :)

Back