Disposing of the remains of rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have done several things. I used to always bury them back down in the porperty a way, so as to not draw predators. I have double bagged them at times and put them in the grabage with the other stuff. I can't think that this would be objectionable as one throws beef, pork and chicken trimmings and bones away. I have also but them in my big compost pile and covered them with wood ashes (to discourage the neighbor's dogs and predators) Since the land here is very gravely, and has a shallow topsoil, I usually am developing a new spot at any given time. There I dump bark, wood ashes, spoiled straw, vegetable trimmings, and rabbit manure (if I already have plenty on my main garden). I usually do this for a couple of years before I move my gardent to that spot, so the larger pieces of bark etc. have a chance to fully break down.

I am being more careful now that I am useing garden stuff to feed the rabbits.... I don't want a direct vector.

Certainly if your chickens will eat them, this is an excellent solution, CH. I have seven hens and all they seem to do is scatter them and make a mess - perhaps because they free-range and have lots of food sources to choose from. Penned birds might make better use of them, but one would have to clean up anything they didn't eat.

I feed them to the pot-bellied pigs, or compost them in the manure pile. :D If the latter, something usually comes and disposes of it for me (coyote, possum?). The chickens will have a go at it too, but they don't clean it up as well as I'd like.

MaggieJ":19woyetu said:
I have seven hens and all they seem to do is scatter them and make a mess - perhaps because they free-range and have lots of food sources to choose from. Penned birds might make better use of them, but one would have to clean up anything they didn't eat.

I have tried this too and mine do the same thing. They kick the entrails around looking for bugs, but don't eat anything.

Then I saw a rat carrying off some and that was the last time I put rabbit guts out for the chickens. If they don't clean it up in about 10 minutes, they don't get it a second time -- no rats wanted here!!

well, butchered a young goat, and the penned chickens enjoyed a day of carcass picking. i also threw the heart and lungs in for them. wasn't sure about the intestins because of e-coli and such. i know the hens need lots of protein and when they free range they get that from the bugs, but if they can have all the innards, then they shall have it from the buns too.

MaggieJ":2stgvry8 said:
We have 32 acres so we just take them out back - 'way out back - and donate them to the wild creatures. There is never anything left.

We do the same. I once took some out to dump. The very next day we did some more processing, so I took a second batch out. I knew the remains were always gone, but had never checked the following the day...in all of 12 hours, it was gone. All of it. No scraps at all. I figure the coyotes get them as soon as darkness falls.

Certainly I would be most pleased to bag up and freeze the remains for anyone who wanted it for raw feeding - as long as they picked it up in a timely fashion. Off-hand, I don't know of anyone that raw-feeds.

One of these years (dream on, dream on) I want to get a weaner pig and raise it for the freezer. I suppose it would be glad to dispose of the waste. Half-Caper, do you give everything to the pot-bellied pigs? Skins, entrails, feet, heads etc.?

Good to know, Moonkitten. I wasn't overly worried, given the small scale of our rabbitry, but still... just as soon not be violating regulations.

I wonder what regulations (if any) cover the disposal of the remains of wild rabbits shot when hunting?

I can answer that for Wisconsin, USA. (about wild rabbits hunting) none. gut it. drop it. (actually, they say to bury anything you don't take out, but unless you bury 6' down, it won't do any good) They figure the innards are going to be eaten by scavengers that would normally get the rabbit in the first place, I suppose.

I have a tale about disposal..or rather...NOT disposing...

It's freezing here. snow on the ground, etc. So Mike did his thing with the crew. I went out and brought home the carcasses and hides. Reggie (dog) got one head. .... Mike was supposed to dispose of the pail of innards. He forgot. AND he left the back people door ajar.

So...the next weekend he goes out and finds an empty pail, and all these HUGE coon poos around..and the poos are...hairy. fuzzy. WITH HAIR. BLACK hair. All week some coon had feasted. And gone exploring in our shed. oh my....

moonkitten":39eii7v1 said:
MaggieJ":39eii7v1 said:
I have seven hens and all they seem to do is scatter them and make a mess - perhaps because they free-range and have lots of food sources to choose from. Penned birds might make better use of them, but one would have to clean up anything they didn't eat.
I have tried this too and mine do the same thing. They kick the entrails around looking for bugs, but don't eat anything. quote]

My chickens like just the rabbit tummies. At first I poked a couple of holes in it just to clue them in.

Were I live, we have compost pick up so I just put the rabbit waste in a compostable bag and put it in the bin.

Marian

Back