copper x red

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SterlingSatin

Reaction score
what happens if i breed a copper satin to a red satin? lets assume the red has a full red background. the copper has a white mom, and a broken black dad. the mom's parents on one side are white and on the other side are chins. the broken black dad's ancestory is all blacks, whites, and broken blacks. basically, i want to know what i'll get if i breed a copper to a red. will i get some coppers? or mostly reds? or mush?

I think maybe both. read the section on this site about copper satins... http://www.freewebs.com/deepwellfarm/sa ... colors.htm I think a copper is genetically an agouti wild rabbit color, like chestnut or castor in other breeds. In that case the red will boost the brightness of the copper, and if the copper happened to have a non-extension in the background then you could get reds too. but there is no way to know that from your coppers background. the white hides everything. If you wanted to get reds for sure, you could breed the offspring of the first cross back to the red parent, and with patience you should get reds that way.

If the red is truly all red on the pedigree odds are you'd just get copper the first generation. The red probably lacks the genes for anything else like self colors such as black or rew and the copper shows no signs of nonextension to make red. Although it's always possible. It's just low odds.

Back