Temporary Social Housing Suggestions?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormy

Reaction score
Hi all, I've really been enjoying being illuminated by the wealth of collected experience and info on this site! What a terrific site! One of the reasons I never went back to raising rabbits since I was a kid is because I don't like keeping animals in cages. And then, on this site, find out all about pasture- and colony-raising rabbits! Terrific! Seems like a much kinder lifestyle to me.

So I am wanting to raise my does in a social environment and work towards pen or pasture raising outside. I am planning to move my house soon, so I don't want to put my resources to developing an enclosed pen outdoors, sinking the wire etc, until after I move. However, I'm getting at least a couple does (Belgian Hares) at the end of the month. I can keep them inside the house in a pen for a couple months without too much trouble at that size, but what I'd really like, is to be able to also get 2 American Blue does to produce meat, also ready at the end of the month, and have them all be able to live socially together. I understand its best to introduce them when they're all young. The buck will be kept separate, I already have him free-roaming in my house, and the idea is I would stagger who is having babies so I wouldn't be taxing any doe with too many litters.

So now what I'd really like is 4 does, (since Belgians aren't such good meat rabbits I hear, and slower growing), and that I can't do in my spare indoors room. I'm concerned about waiting on the American Blues and trying to introduce them later - if the two Belgian does would accept them. Plus, meat production is already pushing a year out before I get a ROI and I'm forking over a lot of cash on raw meat diet for my cats - hence the inspiration :) (about $180/month!)

Does anyone have any brilliant suggestions for me, for temporary housing of young does socially? I haven't thought of a solution yet on my own so I am hoping the collective brain might have one :) Hutches would be too small. ps. I do have predators - raccoons, foxes.

Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

I'd wait. A move can be stressful on rabbits, especially if they've just become accustomed to you and there will be a 2nd move fairly soon.

For anyone checking out that link eco2pia posted, here's the updated more improved version of her friend's tractor housing for co-habitating rabbits:
http://little-avalon.blogspot.com/2011/ ... 8889926730

I think they're a great idea, if one can't do the whole free-range thing, which I hope to do someday soon but after I move :) This is portable. I am not sure about feeding rabbits mostly grass though, which seems to be the maker's thoughts about moving their cages around on grass and not feeding them pellets as often.
This one looks sturdier for keeping predators out.

@Frosted Rabbits - I have x-pens and they worked great until my Belgian Hare proved he's a formidable jumper and clears them no problem!! So much for that! They would work only supervised anyways, because any predator can get in there or knock them down. That said I did get some taller ones (36") and plan to put a collar of chicken wire at the top so it bends inwards some and he can't clear the edge so easy. We've seen him both hop over, and just climb up the walls. His will be just for daytime exercise since he lives indoors for now :)

Great link to the tractors. I really like the way those are designed. Right now my plans are for a small, indoor colony but I haven't given up the thought of expanding to an outdoor setup someday. I bookmarked the page for later reference.

Back