Register

May I suggest a new Subject area - divided into subgroups?

Site News, Announcements, Posting Guidelines and Introductions.
11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 34,721.00

May I suggest a new Subject area - divided into subgroups?

Post Number:#1  Unread postby ladysown » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:38 pm

Something about legal matters concerns the keeping of livestock.

Our focus here is rabbits, but reading what I do on meatrabbits....it seems that in the states that animal husbandry laws of ALL sorts are under attack.

So if I might propose that we add a new section. Not sure what to call it.

Animal Law and You. Or Legislative Matters (though that doesn't sound user friendly). Even .. keeping livestock and the Law... OR SOMETHING..

But divide it into three subsections: USA related, Canada Related, and Other area (unless there's a need for there to be additional groups)

what do you all think?

we could add links
areas of how to approach AR type people (respectfully, not stooping to their level, being versed in the law etc).
ladysown

http://athomepets.weebly.com/
Primary Blog : http://athomepets.weebly.com/at-home-pets-blog.html
Old Blog: blogs/athomepets/

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 5,528.00

Re: May I suggest a new Subject area - divided into subgroups?

Post Number:#2  Unread postby eco2pia » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:52 pm

OOOH!! I second that!! Excellent idea!

Site Admin
11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership11 years of membership
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,414.00

Post Number:#3  Unread postby MaggieJ » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:26 am

I'd be interested in hearing feedback on this from other members too before we implement it. This issue is certainly a major concern in these times.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

United States of America
BunnyBucks: 1,199.00

Post Number:#4  Unread postby kotapony » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:25 am

Not sure if it would evolve to that point, but I think it would be awesome to have a resouce with links to laws for different states/provinces. I know in the US every state has different laws on butchering, sales, etc. As people find info for their states if they could post it with links/sources where they found it that would be great. I've searched for info on WV laws and have come up blank, so making phone calls is on my to-do list. Having a section where that and other info could be shared and stored seems like a useful thing.
~Katie

Canada Female

Post Number:#5  Unread postby ladysown » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:14 am

yes it would be
ladysown

9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership9 years of membership
BunnyBucks: 860.00

Post Number:#6  Unread postby Dreamerz » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:24 pm

This sounds like a great idea. It kind of sounds like watching each others backs as we learn & change with the laws & other garbage thrown in our ways by animal rights activists.
Jane
Dreamerz Lair Rabbitry
http://dreamerz-lair.webs.com/

10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership10 years of membership
United States of America
BunnyBucks: 10,839.00

Post Number:#7  Unread postby Cattle Cait » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:28 pm

I would definitely be in favor of something like this.
Caitlin C
Webberville, MI
The Domestication of Cattle Cait
http://cattlecait.blogspot.com/

"In Cattle Cait country, you not feed rabbit, but rabbit feed you."

Site Supporter
BunnyBucks: 4,796.00

Post Number:#8  Unread postby Anntann » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:48 pm

As long as it didn't turn into a "let's bash the PETA/house rabbit people" forum(that seems to be a common theme with many forums lately who are having problems with laws), I'd be fine with it.

for anyone who's having trouble finding laws for your state/province/whatever...rabbits OFTEN are lumped in with poultry in the U.S. However laws for transport are almost non-existent. It's easier to take a rabbit into Canada from the US than it is a child. or dog. or cat. (forget about chickens...sigh)

Site Admin
Canada Female
BunnyBucks: 61,414.00

Post Number:#9  Unread postby MaggieJ » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:13 pm

I think we need to think about it for a bit, to decide how best to do it. I agree, Ann... A forum of this type needs to be for informational purposes only.
Sojourning in 1894 . . .

BunnyBucks: 1,540.00

Post Number:#10  Unread postby Brody » Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:08 pm

even just the discussion of it leads to language that isn't exactly welfare friendly :(

I have worked very very hard for many years to strengthen the laws around animal care/abuse etc ... I think a forum to discuss all of the legal issues is great - I think "It kind of sounds like watching each others backs as we learn & change with the laws & other garbage thrown in our ways by animal rights activists." is likely to be pervasive though :( not from everyone but from enough people that it just makes me tired
“The crafty rabbit has three different entrances to its lair”
Chinese Proverb

http://www.vareharrifarm.blogspot.com

BunnyBucks: 5,528.00

Post Number:#11  Unread postby eco2pia » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:28 pm

huh, I never even thought about the controversy.

I was just thinking that when a new law goes around that may affect us, it would be nice to know about it--agree or disagree. Licensing concerns/requirements, local laws, trying to understand all the byzantine requirements of the US federal government...Heck, I mis-read my local city ordinances even, at one point. I could use some help with that, is all. I know some people are better than me at understanding it and I guess I envisioned something like a reference section, where I could ask questions, like the genetics section.

I will say that there is a particular breed of malicious vandal around my local area that identifies themselves as an "activist"--environmental or animal rights, it is sort of the same group. They don't work within the system to change things, but by using terrorist acts or harassment. They make me very worried, for the safety of my animals, myself and my family.

I doubt any of us have anything to fear from a LEGITIMATE animal rights advocate. Even us meat breeders mostly started in response to the horrible abuses of the meat industry, so in a way we are all "animal rights" advocates, we all care about the health and well-being of our animals.

I think the fear is a mind killer, and we all react badly. I truly wish I knew a way around that. I can see how this proposed section would work the mods to death, maybe it isn't such a good idea after all. I am a little blindly idealistic at times. :(
Last edited by eco2pia on Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United States of America Female
BunnyBucks: 56,231.00

Post Number:#12  Unread postby Miss M » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:11 am

Brody's got a very good point. Unfortunately, the work that she and others like her do has been co-opted somewhat by people who do not believe in raising certain or any animals for meat, breeding animals for any purpose, etc., and will resort to theft and vandalism to get their point across. This harms those like Brody, who just want to make sure that animals are well cared-for, whatever their purpose. The blame for the actions of the thieves gets painted onto all animal welfare people, which isn't right.

(Brody, you've been such a patient person around here. I know sometimes things that are said are probably frustrating to you, yet you seem to understand the fear we have of the true loonies. We know you aren't one, and that there are more out there like you. :) It would just be nice if you "good guys" would help us out by glowing or something, so we could easily tell who we could trust!)

I think that a section like this is an excellent idea, as a resource for those who are trying to find their local and state ordinances. We would just need to make sure to keep it on topic.
We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
- James Madison

Canada Female

Post Number:#13  Unread postby ladysown » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:01 am

I have to admit, I didn't think about the diatribe that people can throw out, I don't tend to experience that here so didn't even really consider it. I know there are places on-line that I avoid because people get so upset over the issues and forget to be factual. But not every place gets so very upset so I didn't think of that occurring here.

I still think that having a place where people can say "HEADS UP FOLkS" this is coming down the wire. Or for those of you who live in Colorado, or California, this is how the new laws affect you. Or for you living in Ontario...this is what the pet laws/animal husbandry laws MEAN. With the references back to where you find it. Sometimes reading the laws and understanding them are two different things. Which why I wanted those subdivisions. So that people looking for Canadian laws for a specific province wouldn't have to search through one whole section, and for you in the states.. 50 states to go through? I think perhaps dividing into sections would be good. Like for Canada we'd have the eastern provinces, quebec, ontario and the western province. For the states would you do south west, north west or??? Not sure how you divide up your country. :)

and knowing the laws...even transport issues is important. I know there is one state that now wants animal health certificates on almost any animal coming in....including rabbits. Just can't recall the state. But these things people need to know. and in Alberta you aren't allowed to bring in your pet rat. different laws for different places.
ladysown

BunnyBucks: 1,540.00

Post Number:#14  Unread postby Brody » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:40 am

I think it's a great idea ... just not sure how it would work in practise .. I LOVED teaching law and would spend lots of time in the section :) I do get someof the bigger concerns though

Ms M - how about we let the intolerant -whatever stripe they be - glow :) I appreciate your recognition of the challenges for me here (only rarely) more than words can express -thanks :)
“The crafty rabbit has three different entrances to its lair”
Chinese Proverb

http://www.vareharrifarm.blogspot.com

Female
BunnyBucks: 21,399.00

Post Number:#15  Unread postby Frosted Rabbits » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:55 am

I belong to a couple on-line groups that do just this-- several people actually spend time every day looking for news articles and case laws concerning disability rights, and the information is made available in 'files' One 'list' is input only-no discussion. The owner, very well versed, usually puts some pointers in as towhy a claim failed or succeeded--helps peole make their cases stronger..
Terry
Help keep two Medical Service Dogs in top health: gofundme.com/1yvfgk

Next