Do you sell to pet stores?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jack":2tp8j41a said:
Rachel, ask me how I know....
Most of the paperwork you see, is either from a direct sale, or from them passing on your info from the purchase invoice.

Well, we may not know conclusively either way. I'm sure things happen from time to time that might circumvent the certificates from getting to a knew purchaser, but all I know is that the breeder I got my stock from has had had returns with certificate in hand, and I have also picked up rabbits with those "certificates of authenticity". I think that's a pretty negative outlook on things, though.

At this point, I have not sold to a pet store. I do consider it a last resort, I like to make eye contact and feel the folks out a little bit since I have the luxury of living in a fairly central "pick-up" location now. If I still lived in Sutton I'm sure I would have to rely more on the pet shops!

I Pm'd you, sorry but... that was pretty much out of the horses mouth, most of hers were from 4H sales to seconds, if I remember correctly, and maybe someone bought one from the store before they trashed it. That and she had herself out there as THE thrianta breeders... after all how do you think I found her for the pedigree on my first one.

I used to sell to Pet Supplies Plus, mostly because they got my business card from a feed store and called me. They love taking my pet-quality Harlies and I check up every time I come in to make sure that they're labeled as Harlequins. They also set a stack of my business cards by the cages. If I can, I send them a stack of pamphlets about the breed and rabbit raising in general. I also appreciate that they rarely sell a rabbit for more than $20.

I've had people call me saying that they were referred to my rabbitry by that pet store, so I'm pretty happy with them. Oddly enough though, I told my mom to take her leftover baby Palominos there, and they wouldn't buy them from her.

I would suggest NOBODY sells to PetLand. I went there a few weeks ago, there was a dead rabbit in the pen with 6 week old BABIES. The kits appeared to be very sick and thin, and they were probably Mini Rex. The dead rabbit was bigger, and looked to be BEW in colouring. It was in a plastic tunnel stretched out, not moving. Babies were hopping through the tunnel all over it, cuddling with it, and grooming it, it didn't move.
I spied that out and was a bit worried, so I touched it's foot and lifted it up, the foot just dropped down. It was obviously dead. They call puppymills (my grandmother runs one. ASPCA didn't do anything when I called them) and ask to buy puppies from them. They overprice things out of the roof! They were asking $700 for mutts of breeds they were GUESSING most likely.

TERRIBLE PEOPLE

Back