Two Harlequin bucks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
I kept buck two back to use for a show rabbit. But as time goes one I'm wondering if he is the best one to keep back or not. But as I'm still new in this game of rabbit showing I thought I'd get some second opinions.

Could you please take a look and let me know what you think please?

December 6, 2010 litter

Buck one. 4.07 pounds
justinpicfeb112010336.jpg

justinpicfeb112010335.jpg

justinpicfeb112010334.jpg

justinpicfeb112010333.jpg

Buck two 4.05 pounds
justinpicfeb112010340.jpg

justinpicfeb112010339.jpg

justinpicfeb112010338.jpg

justinpicfeb112010337.jpg

If one is better than the other please explain why. I want to learn.

Thanks<br /><br />__________ Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:11 pm __________<br /><br />if I was going to use either one for breeding I'd keep buck one. he's the healthier of the two. also has a nicer temperament.

Down side of keeping him would be that I can't keep him with a holland lop boyo like buck two is with. But I'd eventually have to split them up anyways, just makes my space crunch now as opposed to later. :)

Now, I don't know much about the breed, but what I do know is that this breed gives more points on color/markings than any other breed. Afterall, it is named after it's markings.

Now, again, don't know much. The only ones I've seen were at shows, and I know those were alot more pronounced in their color patterns. It's not a dq, but a fault. Body-wise I like the 2nd one better, especially from the top view. Shoulders are your down-fall. Shoulders should just sort of blend in. They seem flat compared to the rise of the body. I think you could possibly scrunch the rabbit up a little more when posing and it would make the shoulders look better.

__________ Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:34 pm __________

Does #1 have 2 same color ears? It's hard to tell by the pics.<br /><br />__________ Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:35 pm __________<br /><br />If you have the opportunity to take them to a show before you must decide who goes, do! Enter them both. The remarks from the judge will be very helpful in letting you know your strong and weak points on both.

Number one has ears that are quite similar to each other but has better banding. number one has a generally better head.

it's a bit of a hmmm......

I like number 2 better just in terms of rabbit - but couldn't tell you why - and know NOTHING about the breed ... ;)

what i'd like to do is take number 2's head and put it on number 1's body :)<br /><br />__________ Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:37 pm __________<br /><br />he (number 2) is a very calm but shy bunny. number one is a pet me now bunny. :)

I had to run and get my standard. Lol
Markings make up 60 points of the points schedule. Type only has ten placed upon it, which is why you very rarely se a Harlequin with exceptional type. Based on that, I believe Numero uno may be the one to keep. ;)
It may be the picture, but number two looks more brindled in his body color. Then again, Number two has a more striking split down the face, and has more ideal ear alteration. Clean lines are important, Number one wins in that sense since to me there's not any really clear alternations in body color on number two, which seems very brindled.. the markings are more defined in number one. I also like number one's body a little more based on the first profile picture. So yeah, I think I'd go with the first.
I hope I did okay lol, I'm studying for my registrar's liscense though and it gave me a reason to read Harlie DQs and faults. Heheh. :)

If you're trying to decide strictly based on which one would do better on the show table, examine all 4 feet of each rabbit VERY carefully. If they are descendants of rabbits from D&J (who have a lot of white feet/toes/toenails etc, and there is at least one Ontario judge who will DQ anything with a light or bone toenail as well as white) careful examination of the toenails might reveal which one is a show rabbit and which one isn't...

Just something to check :)

I'll be checking them again very carefully as two in this litter had white on their feet. but so far they both look good. hubby wants me to bring them into the house so he can see them side by side.

BUT seeing as the next local show isn't really until the fall...I was thinking spring dorchester show but it seems they aren't having one....not sure if I want to dedicate a cage that long. and I'm just not sure that I want to travel to Barrie alone at this point to do a spring show with dominion....

ladysown":29vl9768 said:
what i'd like to do is take number 2's head and put it on number 1's body :)

If only it was that easy! I say things like that all the time. I agree with you, and I believe someone else said the same. #1 has better body markings, while #1 has the better head markings.

What are the chest split and feet alternation like? It looks like #1 has the correct chocolate back foot, but I can't see the chest or any of the chest/feet on buck #2.

buck #2 is a very shy lad, he hunches all the time and likes to sit back in the cage. Taking pics of him was REALLY easy. :) I'm going to go bring them in and give more of an update or more pics of them to take a better look.

__________ Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:50 am __________

okay have both lads here and will post more pics later on

but buck one: right front is orange, left front mostly orange with some chocolate. right hind is mostly chocolate, left back is half and half. Orange chest, then a creamy section, followed by a chocolate band and an small orange band.

buck two: left front is orange (same side as orange ear), opposite front is half and half. left back is chocolate with a touch of orange. right back is similar just a bit more orange on it. chest is split to be like ears. it leads to a belly that is mostly chocolate splits.

hmm....I'm learning what to look for! :)

now if I'm looking at nails...am I looking for hair colour around the nail or the nail itself? nails to me are either black or light. Are they all supposed to be black? (like you'd get with a black mini rex?)

____
HA!!! in poor light wouldn't be seen BUT buck number one has EIGHT white hairs around one toe. I could pluck them...but why bother? :) I'll stick with number two. :)

ladysown":2p8cr6m8 said:
I'll be checking them again very carefully as two in this litter had white on their feet. but so far they both look good. hubby wants me to bring them into the house so he can see them side by side.

BUT seeing as the next local show isn't really until the fall...I was thinking spring dorchester show but it seems they aren't having one....not sure if I want to dedicate a cage that long. and I'm just not sure that I want to travel to Barrie alone at this point to do a spring show with dominion....

There are alot of shows around if your willing to show with dominion. There is Baxter, Meaford, and Schomberg in the spring that im going to. And 10 shows in the fall :) One being convention in the states :)

If you want to send a rabbit somehwere - id be happy to take it. Or we could work somthing out im sure.

You already have a lot of great advice on the standard, but I just wanted to say that I love those boys! Harlequins are such a neat breed- I'd love to see more pictures of them anytime. :)

Lauren

Back