Good breed for a small child?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equestrian<3

Reaction score
My younger sister wants to show a rabbit because I am, and I was wondering if anybody could suggest a good breed for a child? Fairly small, docile, good temperament, easy to handle? She really wants a polish or a thrianta, but that will just depend on the rabbit itself. :lilbunny:

How young? under about 7-8 I think the only good rabbit is stuffed. But at 8 I would think, mini rex, Maaaybe holland lop, mini lop...I think the polish might be fiesty, but you would have to check the individual, I know a few people have lovey ones. Whatever you get go with a BUCK!! Way nicer temperaments as a rule.

If she is under 8, she will need constant supervision unless she is an exceptional child. Don't get me wrong, I had one of those--but I have also had the other kind!

If there's an experienced parent overseeing and you can find rabbits with good markings Dutch have great personalities at around 5lbs and usually not huge competition in shows because no one wants to deal with the details of the markings when you can just go breed basic mini rex or mini lop colors. MR have so much competition though that you either have spend a lot of time looking and get lucky to find good rabbits that aren't expensive or buy your way on to the table with $100+ rabbits. It seems everyone has a couple mini rex sitting around come show day and everyone accomplishes popping out at least one good show quality rabbit at some point that they keep around for every show they have space to haul another to. If I were going with a common breed like that I'd check what the least common colors were at local shows so I could at least compete well in a certain color variety.

polish are nice rabbits. meet the parents if you can and see what they are like. I find most of them to be absolutely delightful but have heard stories about how is some parts of the countries they have some wild minded ones.

Polish.Jersey woolies,fuzzy lops excellent temperments,Holland lops,mini rex .himilayan.Notice i didnt mention Netherland dwarfs i love mine but i dont reccomend them for children under the age of 10.See the parents i believe temperment is hereditary.

Mini Lops! Most have excellent temperaments from day one, are a great small size without being too delicate, have a beautiful coat, come in a huge variety of colors, are adorable with those chunkamonk faces, are easy to raise, are good eaters, and if push comes to shove they can make fine utility rabbits for the family homestead, too.

Best of luck,

Lauren

I suggest a Himalayan. They are a small rabbit and are well known to have calm personalities. I have one and he is a total doll, very calm. He loves to be held and pet, lets me do anything to him and just puts up with it (nail clipping, brushing, etc). He is also super friendly, I can't walk past his cage without him running to stick his nose up for a pet.

We are definitely going with a buck because I have a buck and even though they won't be in the same room I don't want to take any chances ;) How big are the mini lops? Do they get bigger than the hollands?

mini lops I believe reach 6-8 lbs.. holland lops are generally in the 3-5 lb range.
I could be wrong about the mini lops...but they are bigger than the holland lops

I'd go with a Himilayan as a first choice. I've never met a mean one and they are small and easy to handle. If for some reason you can't get a Himi, go for a Dutch, Mini Lop, or Mini Rex, in that order.

ladysown":35dv321e said:
mini lops I believe reach 6-8 lbs.. holland lops are generally in the 3-5 lb range.
I could be wrong about the mini lops...but they are bigger than the holland lops

A typical mini lop will weigh about 6 to 7 lbs. They are a good choice for children. They're usually friendly and aren't too small or too big for a child to handle.

Mini Lop would be a wonderful choice. They are not as small & delicate as a Holland and they are very friendly. :)

My Daughter is 7 and she has a French Lop. He is Huge & Black. he is litter box trained & walks on a leash. He is so tame & also has bee neutered. We are going to bring him into her class for Easter. I think he is perfect cause he is so big. Not tiny & delicate. She ADORES him :)

Cattle Cait":33077u2n said:
I'd go with a Himilayan as a first choice. I've never met a mean one and they are small and easy to handle. If for some reason you can't get a Himi, go for a Dutch, Mini Lop, or Mini Rex, in that order.

I would have to second that :bunnyhop:

I would have to give another vote for himalayan. I have never had one, but I see more himis, by far, being carried around at rabbit shows by the youngest children than any other breed. They just hang there, like ferrets.

I'd always go for Dutch for children. The Polish.......in the UK these animals are rather flighty.....

Back