Silvered agouti?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Is there another name to describe a silvered chestnut agouti? Here's what I'm thinking, if I were to breed the following rabbits:

Creme d'Argent buck = A_ B_ C_ D_ ee sisi
Champagne d'Argent doe = aa B_ C_ D_ E_ sisi

assuming no hidden recessives, the resulting kits would likely all be Aa B_ C_ D_ Ee sisi, a chestnut agouti with silvering, correct? I'm new to this, so correct me if I'm wrong.

A Silver chestnut is called an Argente St.Hubert and they're absolutely stunning :)

They were at one point very popular in Europe, however like most other Argente Breeds they seem to have fallen into oblivion in most places.

and if those were bred to other "st huberts" I would get AAee (Creme), aaEE (Champ), AaEe (St. Hubert) and aaee (Silver tort?) What would you call a silvered tort? Is there a special name for that?

These are all hypotheticals BTW, I don't even have any Champs yet.

Also, considering that St. Huberts are so scarce, how long would one need to produce a true breeding line of them before they could actually be called St. Huberts? 3 generation pedigrees are required to call a rabbit purebred, yes? I'm just considering the time it would take someone to be able to market rabbits as St. Huberts and bring them back, so to speak. It seems to me that if it were as easy as producing a silvered chestnut rabbit, that someone would have done it by now and be selling Argente St. Huberts in North America. There has got to be something more to it that I am missing.

Here is that exact cross
DSCN0517.jpg

3 generations may make a pedigree but it's going to take you a lot longer to get them breeding true. It could take more than a dozen generations to get the self and nonextension out of there so you only get chestnut agouti with silver. aaB-ee is called cinnamon. I don't know if there is a name for silvered cinnamon.

Interesting photo! A silvered chestnut is showable under ARBA standards in the Silver breed. It's called brown. I had one once...

sallyjaneandlorien.jpg

The actual silver rabbit breed is very rare and a bit unique. It's a compact breed (described by the club as muscular, athletic type) at no more than 7lbs so anything bred from the meat breeds like the argents would not look at all similar and my lines at least carry way too much silvering to be desireable. As they worded it the silvering drowns out the color. I could see using some smaller argents to interbreed with silvers for widening the gene pool though.

Latest posts

Back