Making a safe food list

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uumom2many

Reaction score
I'm trying to compile a list of safe food for my bunny. The problem is conflicting sources. Some say things are okay and others not. I was using the list off house bunnies website but I think there is much left out. I am working on a balance between pellets and giving him food from the garden and things we eat. (like today I cut off some banana w/skin that Olivia was eating for breakfast) I just want a single complete list that I can reference easily, possibly laminate and post with the cages, so I can suppliment the very expensive pellets with things I already have. I'm also planting a bunny garden this year so he has stuff just for him.

Is there anyone that has a list already or know one online with herbs, veggies and fruits that are bunny safe?

I don't know of any for vegetables and fruits that are better than the ones you are using, but there is a Safe Plants List in our Natural Feeding for Rabbits. It is a work in progress and is far from complete, but it lists many common weeds and plants that we know from our own experiences are safe. The botanical names are included so if you are unfamiliar with a plant you can do a google search by botanical name and be confident that you are learning about the right plant.

I don't know if you have any down in your part of the state, but kudzu is actually good for eating and quite nutritious.

As Maggie said tho...her list of safe plants is really good. AND it's been tested.

The conflicting advice on plants for rabbits...a lot of it comes from the house rabbit society and people who give a whole MOUND of something to a rabbit, without introducing it slowly..and then the rabbit gets sick or dies...so OBVIOUSLY that plant is bad for bunny.

Just remember to introduce a new food slowly so their systems get used to it. (I learned that from Maggie! :D )

Back