Options

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just don't know what I'm doing wrong with these rabbits. None of my does are taking! I tried switching cages and that doesn't work for anything!

Is anybody else having problems getting does bred?

I hope once spring comes they will take. Because this is bs spending all of my money to feed them and actually spending money on buying new rabbits that aren't doing anything for me.

Anything that I should do to get the does bred?

Is the problem that they refuse to breed or that they breed but do not have kits as a result?

Refusal to breed may be due to the time of year. Cold temperatures in particular may cause a doe to refuse. Try choosing a sunny day with above average temperatures to counter this.

Vitamins A & E are essential for successful breeding. I know they are in the pellets, but sometimes due to the processing techniques and/or storage conditions, by the time they get to the rabbit these vitamins may be lost. Adding 2 tsp. of wheat germ or 5 - 6 drops of wheat germ oil daily to their feed should supply their need for Vitamin E. For Vitamin A, try supplementing with dark green leafy foods such as parsley, carrot tops or dandelion greens. It seems to take about two weeks for the vitamins to help, and it will, of course, only work if a vitamin deficiency happens to be the problem.

If the rabbits seem to breed (buck mounts doe and falls off) but no kits result, it could be that the buck is not fertile. The chances of this increase if it is happening with a number of different does. Has your buck fathered any kits at all? If you have a second buck, try using him instead and see if that helps.

If some does catch and some don't, then you need to look at the individual does and try to figure out why. Do you know the ages of your breeders? It is often hard to tell a rabbit's age unless you acquire it as a youngster that is still growing. It is not unknown for people to sell older rabbits near the end of their breeding years to unsuspecting buyers, passing them off as younger stock. Sad but true.

There are other reasons why you may be having difficulties. Knowing more about your rabbits and how you feed and house them will help us to help you figure it out. :)

They are around 6 months old. I have quite a few bucks that I tried and nothing seems to work. The buck will mount the doe, but the doe won't raise her hq so that is when I will do table breedings with my rabbits and the buck still doesn't catch her.

Can it be from the cold weather that is why the bucks are shooting blanks?

I also feed my rabbits MannaPro SHO. I was really successful during the previous years. But now my rabbits aren't taking.

If the does are just six months old, it could simply be that they are not ready, not sexually mature enough to be interested. Examine their genitals and wait for a day when their parts are deep pink to purplish instead of white to pale pink.

we put our does under lights starting in november, simulating longer hours of daylight. once we got them bred, rebreeding on day 28 after kindling has worked. had a bunch due yesterday and all but 2 had babies by yesterday afternoon

Back