Rex and Satin

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommaebear

Reaction score
I'm trying to learn the differnce and learning about them. But what I want to know is what colors rex come in, and what color satins come it?

All of them! Pretty much anyway. You will want to look up the breed clubs on line to see which colors are allowed for showing though. Google is your friend.

My rabbits are mostly for meat, and simple pets. So I'm really not interested in showing, especially since I though to show you had to have a consistant line or heritage, I really know nothing of it. Just that I have a bunch of large rabbits(which are hard to find around here) that throw a wide variety of different colored and coated kits, and I want to know how to best discribe their colors since I've already had people ask me for blue, or broken kits, and want to make sure I can tell them if I have what they are looking for. Might as well be prepared and know the rest. Plus the more you know and smarter you sound talking about them around here, the more I sell and for higher prices, I'm tired of winging it, lol, would prefer to be honest ;)

All you need to show is a tattoo in the ear. You can claim the rabbit is whatever you want really. I just got some crossbreeds from someone who doesn't have pedigrees on majority of their rabbits but still shows. Some of them she just didn't bother to get pedigrees for since she doesn't care. Odds of winning with a rabbit that does not have a good pedigree is just lower since most sold without pedigrees are because they are not high enough quality to show or breed in that person's opinion or they were never bred toward a standard so no one ever paid attention to who was from who. Most breeders though won't buy rabbits without pedigrees because most breeders won't buy rabbits without pedigrees. It's self fulfilling. If you have a rabbit without a pedigree you will have trouble selling the offspring to people who show and they will sell for less to most other breeders even if they don't show so most don't buy rabbits without pedigrees that often. If you are breeding for meat it's slightly less important but a pedigree is still a useful thing. It can tell you what rabbitry your rabbits came out of which can tell you something about their characteristics and how they will produce, it can prevent breeding rabbits that are too close together because even if you buy from different people they may have bought from the same person especially with less common breeds, and it helps you keep track of the quality of your own rabbits so you know your breeding program is improving.

Accepted MR colors http://www.nmrrc.net/varieties.htm . 2 things to note which are not obvious. Lynx is lilac based agouti and allowed while chocolate based agouti aka cinnamon is not. Which is odd and leads to a lot of breeding programs resulting in unshowable rabbits.

The satin club has articles on some of their colors and if you go under "our club" to CODs you will see which colors passed or failed their presentation attempt each year. I don't have a SOP and I forget the rules and how many times a variety has to pass under the COD to become a recognized variety.

Hey Mommaebear,
I can tell you the colors:
Satins are accepted in:
Black, Blue, Broken, Californian, Chinchilla, Chocolate,
Copper, Lilac,All of the Otter varieties, Red, Siamese and White.
Satins will produce other colors, that are
just not yet accepted by A.R.B.A.
Things seem to change daily, that is why having a new version
of the Standard is a good idea.

Mini Rex in: Black, Blue, Blue eyed White, Broken, Castor,
Chinchilla, Chocolate, Himalayan, Lilac, Lynx, Opal, Red, Seal,
Tortoise and White.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Latest posts

Back