Some Raptor Videos

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artios

Reaction score
A recent thread reminded me of some volunteer work I used to do. If you've got some sort of a wildlife rehab nearby, I can wholeheartedly recommend volunteering! It's incredibly fulfilling work, though not all of it is pleasant. I was volunteer coordinator at our local raptor rehab for a while, and usually got to be the one to take newly brought in birds to the vet since I live closest to them. I also got to head out on some exciting trips to go pick up birds that people had happened upon one way or another. I went in one day a week to feed and water birds, clean cages/flights, dispense medications and hospital care if needed, and generally kept an eye on everyone.

A lot of sweat and tears, and oh yeah some blood was spilled too. But my heart was always happy doing it. I've worked with wee babies, adults with issues, and everything in between. A special bird named Annie, I had a close relationship with. I'd often spend extra time there in her flight with her, just petting her and telling her how pretty she was. Just she and I, alone there deep in the woods. There's little that's as magical as running your fingers through a live hawk's feathers. <3 They're incredible animals.

For a while I did some documenting of some of the goings on, and I posted them weekly to a bird forum I was hanging out on at the time. Sadly, the forum went under so all of that is lost, but I do still have my videos and some pictures. If anyone would like to dig through and have a peek, my channel is here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kachinabetta
(warning, it's not ALL raptors, there are a lot of other videos that can be skipped over)

Enjoy!

I put in a couple years at a local rehab center-- nothing like having a playful Turkey Vulture land on your shoulder as you stoop over to pick up the deads! I have everything I need, except a place, to get the State license to rehab-- one of these days, if only a hacking box or soft release area...
I find chickens to be a good substitute to practice raptor handling with!!!!

Funny that you mention vultures. A lot of people are repulsed by them, but the black vulture that we had at the rehab was just such a nice bird and really changed my thinking of them. Unless you were trying to catch him of course. He was all vulture then. *barf* LOL He was missing most of his toes, and it was so funny to see him scurry around his flight on the ground when it was time for his dinner. He liked the belly cut open for him, and he was so dainty when he picked out the insides first. :lol:

Best of luck with your adventures. I'd love to hear some stories once you start bringing in birds to work with.

Great videos and a nice story, too. Would you mind sharing any links or information you have to WV raptor or wildlife centers? I have a friend that recently attained a bachelors in wildlife/biology and volunteered with the WV chapter of The Wildlife Society while they were a student. They are now wanting to pursue a job in the field- would prefer to work with endangered species if possible in the WV area. I live in Georgia, so I haven't been able to help them much except for possible opportunities in my area, but I'd be so grateful if you had any suggestions for them in WV or the surrounding states nearby to their family.

Thanks so much!

Lauren

Hi Lauren. I'm not sure I can find a paying job for anyone in that area, everything I have seen is way too cash strapped to be able to pay folks. But I am happy to gather up and forward along any info I have and can find.

Lauren-- have your friend use that degree to open the doors into parks system jobs in general-- The local Wildlife Rehab center here is housed by the county park system--but it has to provide a lot of it's own funds through grants, donations, and fundraisers. The paid staff are part of the parks 'educational' program-- And the way to become paid staff within the rehab area is to either volunteer, or intern. I can see an employee also having a better chance if they volunteer during their off hours.

I guess it depends on where you are. The education folks here at this rehab are also unpaid volunteers. (At the regular wildlife rehab center I know of as well) They tried to rope me into doing a few gigs but I wasn't willing to run up the mileage on my car and pay the gas bill out of pocket when I was already doing all I could to help. Last I heard, they were feeding the birds roadkill deer because they could no longer afford rats/mice. Would love to know where the money's going that's raked in, but I guess that's a different story for another time that I'm not going to put on a public forum.

If he's got his heart set on working with endangered species and getting paid for it, definitely have him check into the National Aviary in Pittsburgh. Very nice place, with some wonderful exhibits. I'll sit down and scratch up some links tonight with contact info and send them. Perhaps they'll be able to point him to some folks he should talk to.

I do agree though, something through the state's park system is probably going to get him some more solid leads. It's tough all over these days.

Thanks for the info- I will be sure to pass it along. I think he is feeling fairly discouraged right now after working so hard in school only to have a very difficult time finding a job in his field. I know a lot of positions in that kind of thing are simply held until retirement, so it is rough for someone trying to get their official start after having already put in tons of volunteer hours, project time, etc. (not to mention the cost and time going into the degree itself over four years).

Thanks again,

Lauren

Sent you an email. A couple of the places I knew of have gone under, sadly. I'm not sure who is taking things on in this area now. I'll email my vet since she works at the office the wvrrc uses, maybe she can give me some info. Hopefully the wildlife folks stick together and someone knows something. If so, I'll pass it along.

I found a recent video from PBS about the local rrc. My sweet Annie girl always manages to sneak in a few moments. <3 She's in her 20's and still going strong. I do believe that's Bubo the GHO. Katie was always her favorite. I couldn't get near the psycho. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w9YJjWF2ic[/youtube]

Back