Recipes!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Katduck":31482754 said:
This sounds good. Can I assume that "Corn Flour" is corn starch and not corn meal for us in the USA?
Kat

Corn starch and corn flour are different. Corn flour is like any flour, just made out of corn. It doesn't really thicken the sauce in this dish, it adds texture and provides colour and melds the teriyaki and lemon to the cream. If you don't have corn flour, regular white flour is a good substitute. I wouldn't use corn starch in this dish but if you do, cut the amount by at least half or your sauce will just be goop, the liquid in this dish is only about 1 1/4 cups.

I hope you enjoy it :).

Marian

Truckinguy":2fpwbeqb said:
Any suggestions on how to cook up the organs... heart, kidneys, liver?

I like them sauteed with mushrooms in butter - real butter! - with a nice fresh-from-the-garden tomato on the side. This time of year tomatoes aren't worth buying, so maybe just a green salad. You want something fresh-flavoured to off-set the richness.

The liver should also make an excellent pate. I tried making some once and it was very good. I think I worked from this blurb... sorry, I don't have the source.

"Rabbit liver is unusually large and unusually delicious. Sear it on both sides in clarified butter, leaving it pink inside. Then add a few shallots to the pan with some wine, port or brandy and cook a few minutes. Process with a touch of cream, salt, pepper and a pinch of allspice or nutmeg for quick pate."

here's a site with lots of rabbit recipes.

http://www.huntingpa.com/Rabbit%20recipes.html

__________ Tue May 25, 2010 8:23 am __________

Here's Something I tried this morning - this was just a throw it together to see how it works type of thing. I tend to prefer bland so don't cook with a lot of salt or pepper.

one liver, two hearts, four kidneys.
Sliced as thin as I could.

Put in pan sprayed with cooking spray.
Let cook a while (not long)
Add one small onion sliced in half rings.
Add some seasonings of choice (I used a no salt blend from costco)
Add one can of mushrooms with half the juice.

When it's almost done, add two eggs and mix well.
I also threw in a wee bit of rabbit stock that I had as it was looking a bit dry (like half a wooden spoon).

Stir it a LOT. Took me about 10-13 minutes to make.
Serve and eat. Tasted good to me. :)

I'm not a big liver person, but I could eat liver made like this again.<br /><br />__________ Tue May 25, 2010 8:25 am __________<br /><br />Also made this the other day

Rabbit Cobbler
Serves 4-6 as a main dish
Adapted from the original recipe from the New York Times
3 tbsp olive oil
1 leek, well washed and chopped
Salt and black pepper
2 c quartered button mushrooms
1 ½ c or more chicken stock or, if you have the foresight, rabbit stock
1 sprig fresh, chopped rosemary, plus more to mix into the cobbler batter
2 medium carrots, cut into coins
1 butchered rabbit
1 c peas, frozen or fresh
2 tbsp assorted fresh herbs (e.g., chives, lemon thyme, etc.)
1 c corn, frozen or fresh
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 c flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
4 tbsp unsalted butter, cut into bits
1 cup buttermilk
2 eggs

1. Heat oven to 375°F. Put oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, add the leek, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook until liquid has released and evaporated, about 5 minutes.
2. Add stock and rosemary; bring to a boil, and let bubble for a minute or two, then add carrots and rabbit and reduce heat so the liquid simmers. Cook until carrots are almost tender and rabbit is cooked through — 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the type of rabbit. Pull out the rabbit parts and pull the meat from the bone. Chop up the meat and add it back into the pot. Add peas, herbs, and corn and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are brightly colored and just tender, another minute or so.
3. Whisk cornstarch with a few tablespoons of broth to make a slurry. Add slurry to pot and stir until liquid thickens slightly. Transfer everything to an ovenproof dish and set aside.
4. Put flour in a food processor with rosemary, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add butter and process until mixture resembles small peas, no more than 30 seconds. (You can also do this by hand, using two knives, a fork, your fingers, or a pastry cutter). Transfer mixture to a bowl and mix in buttermilk and eggs until it just comes together; it should be sticky.
5. Drop spoonfuls of batter on top of vegetables and rabbit and smooth with a knife, covering as much surface area as possible but leaving a few gaps for steam to escape. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until golden on top and bubbly underneath. Scoop into bowls and serve immediately.

Special thanks to Katie Hochstedler for her assistance with this recipe.

NOTE: we found this a bit bland - for fresh herbs I used thyme, basil and garlic chives. So I'd add some additional spices of some sort. Not sure what, it tasted good, but just seemed to be lacking something. I"m thinking some type of spicer spice.

Freshly ground allspice or cloves adds a touch of zing to meat recipes. I have a dedicated grinder with black pepper, allspice berries and whole cloves in it. About 3 parts pepper, one part allspice, one part cloves, I would say... but I don't measure.

Our first rabbit was cooked whole in the oven for 45 minutes at 350 degrees with (Mon Dieu, la honte!) simple store bought Kraft BBQ sauce.

The dressed out bunny weighed a smidgen under three pound and I used around a third of a bottle of sauce.

Too easy and it was marvelous.

Here's one I cooked last night.. And I don't do so well with measuring ingredients but cook by taste!

1 4lb rabbit carcas cleaned
6 quarts of water in large pan
1 large white onion quartered only
1 tablespoon minced garlic

Set to boil for about an hour to hour fifteen minutes

Pull carcass out and let cool enough to pick off the meat and dispose of bones where dogs won't eat them... put meat back in pot

Then I added 2 boxes of Chicken Rice (cheap variety) that usually cooks up like spanish rice. Fried the rice mix in butter, added that and spices right to boiling pot.
2 handfuls of white rice
7 large carrots
2 bell peppers
pinch of basil, seasoning salt, oregano
tablespoon canning salt

and cook till rice and veggies are done... all in all about 2 hours. Makes a very thick stew with rice. Kids had friends over and were giving them evil grins. :twisted: I figured the stinkers didn't tell their friends they were eating rabbit so I let them know. Not only did they not care, they had seconds.

In all, it fed 10 of us with some leftovers.

Rabbit Enchilada Soup
Three seemingly random words, when strung together make a very nice authentic tasting soup. Tried this one last night and loved it! Started by deboning 2 scrawny fryers from last fall, yielding about 3 pounds boneless cubed meat. Got the idea from a local soup and salad restaurant that makes an awesome Chicken Enchilada soup.

2 fryer rabbits, deboned and cubed.
2 large cans red mild enchilada sauce
2 cups Masa (corn flour, check the mexican aisle)
4 cups water
3 cups rabbit (chicken) stock
1 medium onion
5-6 teeth fresh garlic, minced
Cayenne and chili power to taste
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Sour cream, shredded cheese, and tortilla strips to garnish

Marinate rabbit with spices and 1 can enchilada sauce in fridge overnight.
Whisk masa and 4 cups of water until smooth.
Brown onion and garlic in a large soup pot with a small amount of oil.
Add rabbit mixture, enchilada sauce, stock, cheese, and masa mix.
Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, dont let the cheese stick and burn on the bottom. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until rabbit is tender, I simmered mine more that that, about an hour.
Garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream, and tortilla strips, serve with tortilla chips or tostadas!

Rabbit Meat-Eat Better,Cleaner and Healthier!Rabbit meat is an all white meat, fine grained, mild in flavor and can be substituted for any veal or poultry recipe,Rabbit meat is higher in protein, but lower in fat, uric acid, cholesterol, sodium and calories than any other meat,It is easily digested and a lot of doctors recommend rabbit meat when red meat is restricted in diets.

Ladysown, one way to deal with your hubby's dislike of bones is to debone everything. You don't even have to be fussy about getting every last bit of meat if you are making soup or stock with the bones. It sure is nice to pull a package of boneless rabbit from the freezer and have it ready for use in stews, stir-fries, casseroles etc.

Hey gang!
I just wanted to throw my hat in the ring here.

1) I usually just do a fairly simple braise, don't have a recipe though as its more of a technique. You can change it up depending on what's in your fridge.
First get a pot on the stove and warm it up. You'll want something like a dutch oven here (ideal) but a pot will do as well.

Pour in a little olive oil or real butter.
When the oil is good and hot, put in the rabbit pieces floured lightly with salt and pepper. Don't be afraid to get them pretty browned. They may not seem like it at first, but they will 'unstick' from the pan when it's time to flip them.

After browned all sides, put the pieces in a bowl and reserve.

Now fry in the same oil (add a little more if needed) some onions (I like lots! and put them in a bowl when finished), some sliced mushrooms (Lots as well please! in the same bowl as the onions), and then fry some minced fresh garlic.

When the garlic is just getting done, add a tablespoon or so of tomato paste. Stir that around and let it stick good to the pan. You may think that you're burning it, but it's just caramelizing nice.. Just before it's starting to burn, add a pint of good brown ale, and rub the pan with a wooden spoon to deglaze.

Now give it back the rabbit, a cup or so of rabbit stock (or chicken if you don't have it).
Add herbs at this time (sage and some thyme are good).

Cover the pan and put in the oven at 350, till the rabbit is tender.

Plate rabbit parts over your favorite starch (polenta is a treat for this) with the sauteed mushrooms and onions.
Now you put the sauce back on the stove and make it a sauce (a little thinner than gravy for me) with some roux, flour in water, or corn starch in water (I like the corn starch- makes it really silky)..

2) Alternatively, do the same thing, but make pot pies!

Only difference is that you'll need some pie dough set aside in pans (I use the single serving ones) and freeze the uncooked dough in it's pan to start.

Now do everything the same, but when you take out the finally cooked rabbit meat, chop it up finely with a knife and put it in the fridge.

Make the gravy a little thicker than you would for the braised dish. Cool it off as well.

The next day (everything is chilled, pie doughs are frozen), fill the pie dough with rabbit meat, sauteed veggies, add some frozen peas, and top with the gravy. You want the pie filling a little higher in the center than the rim of the pie. Top with another pie crust and cut three slits into it.

Place in a preheated oven till the crust is golden brown!

I'll be trying some of these you guys posted for sure.

Thanks, just realized we have another one that was really tasty as well.

My girlfriend is a teacher and tutors a child for a Mexican family.. One day she told the father that we raise our own rabbits and chickens to eat and for eggs. He got so excited (he used to do the same in Mexico when he was much younger), ran to get a recipe for her. It was in spanish but had such a great looking photo (I think from a magazine) that she actually spent a great deal of time in translating it.

After she finished translating to the best of her ability, I looked it over for anything that didn't make sense (you probably know how translation can be- some words translate correctly but not in the spirit of the meaning.

Anyway we came up with the following recipe, which we have used and it is delicious! Kind of like a cross between a BBQ sauce flavor/ mixed with a mole (mo-lay is pronunciation if you are unfamiliar with it. I only stress that because I don't know how to type the proper accent on the 'e' and I'm not talking about the burrowing critter, lol.)

Conejo (rabbit) Adobado :bunnyhop:

1 large rabbit in pieces
5 ancho chiles
1 large tomato
1 large onion
5 cloves garlic
2 T oregano
5 T red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
oil as needed

1. wash and dry rabbit. mix oregano, vinegar, and salt and pepper for marinade. Let the rabbit stand in marinade for 2 hours.

2. Wash chiles (these are the wrinkly dried black ones you see in the stores) and then soak them in boiling water.

3. Heat up a pan on stove, add a bit of oil, saute the tomato, chopped onion, and chopped garlic till it becomes very saucy-

4. puree the tomato mixture with the softened chiles and the used marinade- all together.

5. Fry the sauce that results in a little oil, thickening it a little till it is the consistancy that you can smear it on the rabbit like a bbq sauce.

6. Arrange the rabbit in casserole dish, smear all over with the salsa, cover and cook at 350 for 1-1.5 hours (or until tender)..

I just discovered the beauty of poaching meats. SOOOOOOO easy and quick. For rabbit, I put an entire rabbit in a pot and add water just until it covers the rabbit. Then I add salt, cumin, coriander, rosemary (or whatever type of seasonings I feel like at the time). Bring to a boil (not a rolling boil, but just when the water starts to get wavy), turn the heat off, remove from hot burner, cover pot and let sit for 30 minutes or so. The rabbit will be totally cooked through.

This makes it so easy to remove the meat from the bones. I pull the meat from the bones (once it has cooled a little) and put it away in the fridge to use in so many dishes. Then I put the bones back in the flavored water and continue to let it simmer to make stock. I taste and season as needed.

This has made my life so easy. In fact, I can poach a rabbit as soon as I get up in the morning and have it ready to put in our lunches. Usually I do a few rabbit on the weekends though.

The rabbit will be lightly seasoned but you can add it to just about anything ... in fact, I think I will do it this weekend and then try to ground it up. We'll see how it goes. :) I probably won't be grinding up much rabbit though because we are in love with ground goat (slurp, slurp). :)

as we are discussing about recipes so here i am sharing that recipe which i am using and i hope you like it....

Sweet and Sour Rabbit Recipe:
1 or 2 rabbits, cut
1 can pineapple pieces
1 green pepper, chopped
8 tomatoes, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp wine vinegar
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp corn flour
Salt and Pepper to taste

Large sauce pan or heat resistant roasting dish
Cooking time - 1 hour 20 minutes

Place all the ingredients except the corn flour into a heat proof dish simmer gently on top of the stove for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.

When rabbit has cooled remove meat and chop into small pieces.

Mix corn flour with a little water add to heat proof dish bring to boil stirring all the time.

Add the pieces of rabbit back in the dish with the sauce, reheat and pour into a serving dish.

Serve with boiled rice or pasta and salad.

Garden Marinade for Rabbit
Ingredients:
Whole rabbit
Lemons, quartered
Garlic, chopped
Fresh oregano, chopped
Fresh sage, chopped
The amounts are really arbitrary. You need enough lemons so that when you squeeze the juice it makes enough liquid to really be able to coat the rabbit in the bowl
I mix up this marinade when I am going to butcher, and I have a LARGE stainless steel bowl that I fill with the lemon juice, the torn up lemon rind and pulp that is left after you squeeze the juice out, the chopped garlic and the herbs. Then I pile the rabbits in the liquid and cover the bowl & refrigerate for a couple of days so that the meat can lose its rigor. Then we take as many as we want to grill. We get the fire hot and break the back of each rabbit so that we can lay it flat with the inside down on the grill. We grill it for about 15-20 minutes until it is nice and crispy on the inside. It doesn’t hurt if the bony side gets a little burnt looking. It actually tastes better to me that way. Then we turn it over to cook for about 10 minutes, or so, on the outside. Then serve.
Any rabbit that we aren’t going to cook right away, we put into its own zip-lock bag and add some of the marinade, including the pieces of lemon, and freeze until we want to use it.

Oh, dear, no one has posted Bunny Noodle Soup?!?

You can use any bunny pieces you want and this is a great use for ribs and front quarters, but I also use a whole rabbit.

Start by cooking (poaching) pieces in water seasoned with a little salt.

Remove pieces from the liquid and cool to remove meat. Return the bones to the stock and continue to simmer until meat is ready to return to pot. Strain the bones out and chop or shred the meat and return to the pot. Add wide egg noodles and an additional quart of rabbit or chicken stock if more liquid is needed. I use a soup/stock pot and start with it half full of water and do all simmering/cooking with a lid on, but sometimes I just need more stock.

Cook at a slow boil for about 15 minutes, until the noodles are just starting to soften, then turn heat off and add milk (about 2-4 cups) adjust salt and season with black pepper. Cover and let sit for another 15-30 minutes until the noodles are plumped.

This will serve 4-8 adults depending on how much rabbit meat you start with.

This is adapted from Grandmother's chicken noodle soup :lol:<br /><br />__________ Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:54 pm __________<br /><br />Onion Soup Bunny

Preheat oven to 350F

1 pkg dry onion soup
2 cups dry rice, cooked
4 rabbit quarters

Cook rice. Pour pkg dry onion soup in container and dredge rabbit quarters to coat. In tin foil square, place 1 serving of rice and place rabbit quarter on top. Fold foil into nice tight package and place in oven safe dish (I use a glass casserole dish) with the package seam up. Bake in oven for 45 minutes or until quarter is cooked through.

For additional yummy, add sliced fresh mushrooms ... mmmmmmmmmm.

You can also do this with chicken breast :lol:

Back