Oh, my, I have gone and spoiled them...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggysbabysitter

Reaction score
The silkie chics are doing well, and at almost 3 weeks are still so small!
I am still trying to get them used to being handled and it didn't look to be working very well. That is until I sat down at the other end of the room near bedtime, and they WOULD NOT stop squacking. I filled the food and water, I tossed in a worm... I checked them over and still they SQUACK. So into the pocket they go. And they shut up. They wanted to snuggle before going to bed :) Now when they won't be quiet it's because they want to hang out in the folds of my shirt!
Could that be a sign I fall asleep with them too often? lol

Now thats too sweet. I hand raised a white pekin duck and I found I had the same issue with him as well. Just like my Little Bill, it seems your silkies have imprinted on you and they will only truly be comforted when being close to you. I would bet they follow you around everywhere, right? The imprinting does subside as they age but never goes away totally... you will always be "momma" to them. I guess its time to get used to it. :)

they only get out to the grass once a day... imprinting was what I wanted, but I had to leave them for a while and they decided hubby was momma. So they do scratch around a bit outside, but only when I squat down and they stay near my feet/butt. If I stand they chirp thier little alarm.
I realized one night I may roll over on them, and so I wrapped them up in a dirty t-shirt and shoved them over by the edge of the bed. They liked that, too... so as long as I have large t-shirts that smell like me they should be happy :)

I stopped at city hall today... asked how to get the paperwork started on getting my own backyard chicken coop. Oh, the bylaw doesn't let me have chickens. The old wording of another bylaw says no livestock. So, one says I can have a backyard chicken coop, but another says no chickens. *hate lawyers and redtape*

Iggysbabysitter":1l39sc4e said:
I stopped at city hall today... asked how to get the paperwork started on getting my own backyard chicken coop. Oh, the bylaw doesn't let me have chickens. The old wording of another bylaw says no livestock. So, one says I can have a backyard chicken coop, but another says no chickens. *hate lawyers and redtape*

Blasted red tape! What a bunch of bunk! Does one of the bylaws trump another (either by date of statute or by circumstance)? Hopefully there will be some way around all of it... Best of Luck to you!

ya know-- a storage shed with a doggy door in it would be a nice way to disguise a poultry house! Are outdoor aviaries okay? They need weather protected areas...

chicken? what Chicken-- that's a very rare pet type bird!!!

Get some seramas and call them malaysian ground birds.

Back