Chicken pics

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Well, here's a couple of pics of the chickens. I'm told they are white rocks and are a meat bird. I got seven chicks and I think six of them are roosters. The setup is nice and shady all day and they seem pretty happy running around. The fenced area is 20'x20' and is under one of the big pine trees in the backyard. They are a lot of fun to watch!

Attachments

• chicken1.jpg
    chicken1.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 1,535
  • chickensetup1.jpg
    chickensetup1.jpg
    426.5 KB · Views: 1,535
Yes, they are a lot of fun to watch. I find my self standing by the run just watching them for extended periods of time. I enjoy them as much as the rabbits. Very nice birds and set up you have there.

Truckinguy,
I like the size of that Pen. I can walk into my pen stooped over
but standing would be more comfortable.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Thanks! The pen is big enough for more birds but the coop isn't so I plan to add on to it by the fall. I was told that a seven foot high fence with the top foot bent in would be pretty affective at keeping them in. I think as long as they have lots of space to run about they won't be too itchy to try to get out. A couple of the chickens are friendly enough I can give them a good backrub like I give the rabbits

They have grown fast. I've been told they might grow fast enough they won't be able to walk so I'm keeping an eye on them. As long as they are energetic enough to run around I figure they are ok. Still trying to find out which ones are roosters and which are hens. Can you tell by flipping them over like a rabbit?

Still trying to find out which ones are roosters and which are hens.
Can you tell by flipping them over like a rabbit?

Not a chance! You can tell by the shape of the feathers.
That picture is most definitely a Hen. Also,
I believe that the Roosters have large spurs for protection.
They can hurt you if they take it into their mind to.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

People say the roos got their comb and wattles first (they turn red first), and their legs are thicker and their feathers come in more slowly...and are pointy-er on their neck and back, even before they get their tail feathers. They hold their tails more upright too, even before they get the curving feathers.

But we always had a mix of breeds, and they develop at different rates, so what always worked for me was to picture the drawing of a rooster and a hen. The posture they have is pretty distinctive, roosters are vertical and hens are horizontal, and that more than anything is what clinches it for me.

Roos will, in general have larger, chunkier looking legs. Larger, more quickly developed combs and wattles. The feathers on the "saddle"..the area on the back just in front of the tail, will grow long and pointy...looking rather fine..and curling slightly down. The hens will have round shorter feathers.

Roos also have longer tail feathers.The hens will carry the tail upright, and kind of LOOK male that way, but the feathers will be shorter and round..looking more like a fan.

Most breeds start developing the traits at around 3 months. By 4 months they'll crow and then you know for sure.

If these are Cornish rocks (Cornish Cross, Cornish X)...which is what is usually referred to as "meat bird", they're bred to grow fast and die early. Butcher size by about 7 weeks. If they're Rocks (a normal breed of bird, but nice and chunky and meaty), they will grow to a nice table size by about 4 months.

I've raised Cornish Crosses with other chickens free range and they live quite long without problems because they get exercise. After a year or so, tho, they will succumb to heat problems :(

NICE PEN, btw :) I need to get a couple more built so we can separate the breeds.

Latest posts

Back