How to Handle Customer Complaints

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
For those who sell to the pet market, how do you handle customer complaints/comments/issues.

For instance
1. I bought this rabbit to be a companion to my other rabbit but they don't get along what do I do?
2. I bought this rabbit two years ago but now I have a dog and they don't seem to like each other. I can't let my bunny run around any more.
3. This rabbit is too big now!
4. I bought this rabbit from you two years ago and now it is sick.
5. Day eight of one week warranty. I let my bunny out in the garage to run around and now it's dead. Can I get a replacement for it?
6. I've decided I don't really like this bunnies colour, can I return it for another one?
7. I decided to breed my doe and now I have all these babies. Can I give them you?

My solution is to help then problem solve it if I can.
1. get them a separate cage or make their living area bigger with lots of hidey holes.
2. Tie up the dog or lock it up so the bunny can have it's run around time. (if they complain that's not fair to the dog, I merely mention that it's not fair to the rabbit to be locked up all the time just because a dog moved in).
3. I have a permanent return policy, no refunds, but if you can't keep the bunny I'm delighted to take it back.
4. Find out what it's sick with, refer to a vet, offer whatever advice you can, and say I'll take it back if you really want me too BUT that it will be culled.
5. depends on the person....sometimes yes, sometimes no. I find this one the hardest to deal with.
6. You can return it, I'll give you a $5 discount on the next one.
7. Sure! I'll take those babies. (which I then promptly turn around and sell as $10 bunnies).

How do you all handle these types of situations, and what types of situations have you run into that I might not have yet.

I haven't had to handle things of a genetic basis yet. But based on what's been done for me...I'd do a partial refund or offer a replacement rabbit.

I agree w/everything but #5. You can't play "favorites" with customers. Word will get around, especially if they are local people. If you have a set policy (1 week warranty), stick to it!

but you have wonder don't you about extenuating circumstances? 'let it run around the garage is just a for instance'.... as I said.. I find it the hardest to deal with and one of those "I can't always explain what happened" things.

I do tend to ask alot of questions if a bunny dies unexpectedly and if they overall were being smart with the bunny, well then... replacing a bunny to me makes good business sense. But if overall I've learned they've been stressing the bunny...aka letting a dog around it, or have a cat staring at it, or have let it run around somewhere unsupervised (if it's just a baby)..feeding it things they shouldn't have...well then...no, I won't replace it.

I find it a tough call.

Well, that's why I do NOT offer a guarantee on my rabbits. I've never had a problem before. Someone could easily take a baby home and 2 days later call and say it's dead. They could tell the truth and say that it got into rat poison in the garage...OR they could lie and say "I don't know what happened. It's just dead."

I breed dogs as well. I offer a 72-hour health guarantee on my puppies. But under that guarantee, the puppy must be taken to their vet for a check-up. If any communicable diseases or congenital defects are found, all they have to do is give me a written statement from their vet, and I will refund the purchase price or provide a replacement puppy. The reason I don't offer a longer guarantee is because with baby animals, things can happen overnight. I feel if it was something of my own fault it would be found within three days. Many people will offer anywhere from a 1-8 year guarantee. That's not something I can do without monitoring the day-to-day care of the dog. Yeah, I'd love to guarantee it, and would if the dog is taken care of 100%, but I have no way of knowing that. The agreement is void if it's past the 72-hour mark. No exceptions. I used to be more lenient with this, but found that people will take you for a ride very quickly if given the chance.

Of course, that is dogs. With rabbits, most don't take them to the vet for a checkup. Vets around here are clueless anyway. It would be their word against mine. With a third professional party (vet) it makes things much easier.

I'm not knocking what you do, just explaining why I don't do it.

1. I bought this rabbit to be a companion to my other rabbit but they don't get along what do I do?
Separate cages, then I would explain that rabbits can be territorial and you can't expect them to get along right off the bat. and some never will (especially two dominant personalities

2. I bought this rabbit two years ago but now I have a dog and they don't seem to like each other. I can't let my bunny run around any more.
I would say, your point would be? Crate train the dog, and let the bunny run around in shifts.

3. This rabbit is too big now!
I tell people how big a rabbit is going to get, I'll show them it's parents. I can usually estimate how big a rabbit will get 9/10 times. If they still take it I'll say "Well I warned you"

4. I bought this rabbit from you two years ago and now it is sick.
Not my problem.

5. Day eight of one week warranty. I let my bunny out in the garage to run around and now it's dead. Can I get a replacement for it?
NO!

6. I've decided I don't really like this bunnies colour, can I return it for another one?
Sure, when I have one in the colour you want that I don't. I'm sorry but I always get pick of the litter and sometimes I even keep the entire litter (call me greedy)

7. I decided to breed my doe and now I have all these babies. Can I give them you?
No, you should have thought about that before you bred her. They are your responsibility now. Not mine.

A lot of times all they want to do is vent their frustrations at someone or something.Complaints are actually very valuable and they ought to be analyzed.These parts are not marketable.During this phase, we can deliver a small quantity of parts to our customer for his own testing.

I don't offer a written guarantee, I just tell them, if you have problems call me, I'll try to help you, or if you no longer want the rabbit call me.
I haven't been called so far.

How about this one!
My Daughter is having trouble caring for her rabbit this winter
due to it being too COLD outside. Can we just bring the rabbit
back to you for the winter and we will pick it up in the Spring,
or can we get another younger bunny then?
Ans: You can certainly bring it back and I can do what I want with it.
You are welcome to come back in the Spring and Purchase another Rabbit
at the normal price. Needless to say, I never heard from them again.
I see a great lack of the teaching of responsibility to the young,
probably due to the lack of responsibility training of the parent.
"When you tire of the novelty of an animal, just drop it into
the lap of somebody else"! :bunnyhop:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I dont get too many complaints,i do offer a 7 day garauntee.I always warn people rabbits dont always get along like the animal rescue people tell you they will.soo i always say one rabbit per cage.I agree with Devon.Since i raise Netherlands i have never had anyone say they got too big.I did replace a doe that a woman bought that developed bad teeth.although she had the rabbit for months so i dont know if its teeth were like that when it left here.

I dont get too many complaints,i do offer a 7 day garauntee.I always warn people rabbits dont always get along like the animal rescue people tell you they will.soo i always say one rabbit per cage.I agree with Devon.Since i raise Netherlands i have never had anyone say they got too big.I did replace a doe that a woman bought that developed bad teeth.although she had the rabbit for months so i dont know if its teeth were like that when it left here.

Latest posts

Back