Very Sad Afternoon. Willow, my favourite goose, died.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaggieJ

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
She hatched on Mother's Day, 2005. I held the egg next to my ear to hear her pecking her way out and she squawked loudly from inside the shell. She was a lovely Pilgrim goose, gentle, mischievous and a constant delight. She died this afternoon after a short spell of ill health. Her companions, Patrick and Elsie were with her when I went out around noon and I hope they were with her in her last moments too.

We dug her grave in the goose yard. While she lay in the grass nearby, Patrick and Elsie waited with her. Geese have a very high emotional intelligence and they understand about death. They mourn. They stayed at the graveside until we began to cover her and then walked slowly away.

I had rooted some cuttings from our weeping willow tree this spring and we planted them on Willow's grave. It seemed appropriate. I'm going to miss her very much. I'm fond of Patrick and Elsie, but Willow was my darling.

Willow 07-11-05.jpg

im so very sorry Maggie

your place won't be the same without her ....

hang in there

It's really sad, and puzzling. She had been lagging a bit for a couple days, but had also shown signs of broodiness just before that, so we didn't think much of it. Then she weakened fast and went. The other geese were with her at the time, and it looked to me like she went fairly easily, so I guess that's something. I'll miss her too, she had a lot of character for such a gentle creature. :(

Patrick and Elsie are a bit subdued this morning. Patrick came out of the goose house making odd sad little noises... nothing like his usual morning trumpeting. Somehow it is comforting to know they miss her too.

Oh Maggie, David. I'm so sorry you lost your Willow :( Very interesting about Patrick and Elsie. Animals have more going on in their brains than we give them credit for.

Planting willows on her grave seems like a really GRAND thing to do :) I have a maple sapling that's going on Reggie's grave at the farm and it's such a nice way to remember them, I think.

Im so sorry for the loss of your Beautiful Willow. Its very hard when we lose an animal we love... they can truly touch our heart & life so deeply.
Hang in there and take comfort in the warm memories she left behind. *Hugs*

Thank you all for your kind words. It means a lot to me to be able to share my feelings with people who understand. And yes, the many sweet memories I have of my Willow are a comfort, even though they hurt right now.

Awwww, so sorry Maggie! It's hard losing a beloved pet.

Latest posts

Back