Curing Pelts with Borax?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cereshill

Reaction score
I found a customer for my meat rabbit pelts! Could get $1-2/pelt cured.... not sure if its worth the effort or not. Anyone use borax to cure pelts?
thx

It is commendable that you want to use all of the rabbit that you can, CH.

Curing pelts is time consuming and a lot of work. I know that competition from China has driven prices way down, but there is no way I would do all that work for just a couple of dollars. I'd do it as a labour of love, for a personal project, but would not consider it worthwhile as a money-making venture.

Never tried the borax method... For the few pelts I tanned years ago, I used the alum method. Maybe the borax method has advantages I am not aware of.

Hi Maggie,
Thanks, I totally agree that for time considered, it isn't a profitable gig. However, I find it honorable to the rabbit if we can utilize most all of its body. I may start keeping the inards for our chickens---they would gradly eat them too. I would then be faced with tossing feet, forearms and head (ideas?!).
Besides, making the pelts is better than TV, would be a great PR move here in W Wash (very socially concious area) and expose me to more customers. Sustainable ag is a strong movement out here and I think this would help break barriers to potential customers.

PS: love the forum!

If you have dogs, they will happily eat some of those "waste" parts. The chickens too. If you open the skulls, the chickens should pick the heads clean, brains and all.

Some cultures utilize the brains as food or as a way to preserve the hides. I'm sure you have heard of "brain tanning". I would think that brain-tanned rabbit pelts might be a good product for you, in your particular location.

Glad you are enjoying the forum! :)

Dogs eat the head first on squirrels and rabbits. strange but true. I quite often find an indeterminate body outside. no head. no feet. no tail. And a VERY happy dog. (she's a the great white hunter around here)

Chickens, too, will eat all the innards you want to give them. well..usually they will.

Borax for curing a rabbit pelt is NOT the way to go- as you will need to scrape it-- and the skin is so thin, you could potentially ruin/tear the pelt up. Using the Alum/salt method means one does not have to remove the stuff that sticks to the hide before it is cured, then the cured hide is stronger and can survive the cleaning up process. Also, when using Borax, you have to have the hide stretched out flat, and in a very warm, dry, bright place to prevent molds and fungus from growing...
However, Borax is the BEST way to cure a bird's 'hide' Birds skin out a lot cleaner than mammals do...

Back