Automatic Watering System

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoney Creek

Reaction score
Hello All,

Currently I am using one water bottle per rabbit and am looking to get an automatic watering system. Any suggestions for a good brand???

All opinions appreciated!

I haven't set up a watering systems for rabbits yet (just getting started again after 20 years), but I've been using one with my rat colonies for a few years now and the equipment is the same.

I really like the original regular Edstrom valves. The needle is sensitive enough that babies can drink easily from it. I shy away from the vari-flow version (though they are great for mice), because they tend to be more prone to leaks and it seemed like I was always tinkering with them. I'm not sure the black lines I use have a brand name, but it looks like anyone who carries the valves carries the same line. You should be able to get everything you need in one place.

Hope that helps!

you cab build one yourself pretty easily if you are at all handy I havent started using one myself either (ITs in the near future Tho) as i have 6 months a year where the water freezes so we use bowls then but i will have a climate controled rabbitry by the end of summer (If all goes as planned) and i will be using one for at least part of the barn. I am going to build mine on my own purchasing the Niples (if thats what there called in rabbits i know thats what we call the enlarged version we have for hogs) from a suplier and then i will purchase the rest of the parts from a farm store and auto store planning on using fuel line as my hoses and 5 gallon buckets as storage. Oviously the size bucket would depend on how many rabbits you have i will prolly have 3 or 4 5 gallon buckets but not everyone has upwards of 275 rabbits just counting breeders and show rabbits at any given time just an idea i know how much more convient it is to just purchase a system

has anybody built there own watering system. interested in building my own , but pics would be great to get an idea to run with . Ive been tossing it around allot lately ,any help would be appreciated. :D

We are in the process of putting one in as we speak most of it should be done today...will let you know how it goes and add pics later.

There is an adapter that will attach the hose or some of the buckets are made to accept a hose. Check bunnyrabbit.com. They have all the parts.

Jessykah":18wkv6d5 said:
How do you attach the hose to the 5 gallon bucket?

Are these pretty chew proof? We have bought sooo many bottles that are dripping like crazy because of chewed on ends(they are the kind with the little ball stopper thing) - Right now we use bowls but they tip them over or sit in them... :x

Personally I like using water bottles because
I like to know who is drinking on a regular basis and how much.
Every few years you may need to invest in a few more [one Dozen]
sipper tubes and caps. They are cheaper by the Dozen.
I use two liter soda Bottles so they are costing only 5c a bottle.
I fashion my own bottle holders with cage wire: two hooks on the top
and two on the bottom. The bottom is slightly smaller than the top,
allowing the bottle to easily slide into and out of the holder.
One must use whatever system works best for them.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I use the water bottles for my breeders...I agree with Ottersatin...I like to know who is drinking....and how much..for my kits in a "Club House" setting...3 to a cage...they have a very heavy ceramic crock set in the corner by the door...empty...rinse...fill...and good to go...the water bottles I use are called I think...Lix-It...has a small stem insite the tube...I check it by pushing it in each day to be sure it is working...I keep a garden hose in the rabbitry...with it's own shutoff valve...use the white hose found in the camper section at wallmart...no rubber residue...good for human consuption...guess it will be OK for rabbits..I would think that an automatic system might be OK if it was inspected daily to insure everyone is getting enough water...but you might not know who is drinking how much...my does when they are pregnant...and feeding little ones...drink a lot more than lets say my lazy buck...they aslo eat a lot more...kind of keeps me in touch wtih each rabbit this way...a good judge of their health that way, I would think...

Sorry for the delay, here are some pics of the watering system. We had to use a pressure regulator because we didn't have enough height to use a gravity feed. Also a couple pics of our nestboxes, I guess I got click happy.

Attachments

• pressure regulator.jpg
    pressure regulator.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 3,147
  • water1.jpg
    water1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 3,147
  • water2.jpg
    water2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 3,147
  • nestbox1.jpg
    nestbox1.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 3,147
  • water2.jpg
    water2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 3,147
  • nestbox2.jpg
    nestbox2.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 3,147
I have to agree with Ottersatin, I really like the idea of being able to monitor how much water is being consumed on a daily basis by each animal. I also like being able to clean the bottles as needed, I mean you still must get the sediment and skudge in those tubes? Water is water, and has impurities that build up over time. How will you clean that?

Latest posts

Back