Disinfecting cages/trays

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevonW

Reaction score
What do you guys use when you clean?

For my trays after I scrape all the manure out, and after in the summer when I have a hose to wash them down. I spray them with a disinfectant + deodorizer. Called Miracle by Swish. It is commonly used in hospitals and vets offices, because not only does it kill EVERYTHING (like literally) it's also a fungicide, effectively gets rid of odours and smells lemony fresh. I also wipe down the insides of my cages with it a couple times a week.

I also have Vanodine but I really cannot stand the smell it has, so I only use it if I run out of Miracle and can't get to the Swish store right away.

Crud! Anyone know where this is available in the U.S.? Their shipping charge is more than the price of a gallon of the stuff. :(

DevonW":1ywadd29 said:
What do you guys use when you clean?

I use a mixture of (cheap) laundry bleach and water. A 5 gallon plastic bucket with hot water, a long handled brush (some potty brushes work well) and if you are sensitive, rubber gloves. Be careful to keep it out of your eyes. I don't know how much to tell you to use. I "dump" some in to a half of a bucket of water probably 1 to 1 1/2 cups. More or less according to how dirty things are. Actually, I scrub with detergent first and then use this afterward. Laundry bleach (5-6% sodium hypochlorite in water) will dissipate after a couple of hours, so if it is dry, there is no residue left, although the smell of the chlorine may stick to wood for a bit. Uh..... wear old clothes.

I use this solution to rinse nestboxes, and to rinse cages, when I remove them once or twice a year for cleaning. I would use it on almost everything involved if I thought I ever had a rabbit with a contagious disease. It will kill fungus and mold spores in this concentration. It is basically the same thing the dairy uses to clean all their equipment with. For wooden things the amount that soaks in after a bit of rinsing will kill germs embedded in the wood.

I know there are other good products out there,but I have found them too hard to get or too expensive for my taste.

I am just starting all this, but I currently use a weak chlorine bleach solution. There is a wonderful thing for disinfecting/sterilizing containers for winemaking that kills EVERYTHING and is human safe. So I'm thinking of looking into that. Comes in a powder that you just put a tsp in a gallon of water and swish around. There are a number of different ones, but we've got campden tablets on hand, so I may use that. Inhibits growth of bacteria and mold.

Back