Our First Popples!!!! YAY!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss M

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Well, like I had said, we had to put the bunnies in the bathrooms, because the porch upstairs is being rebuilt (which naturally puts our porch out of commission), and we couldn't get the hutch into the living room.

With Pearl being due in only a few days, I gave her a nice, sturdy cardboard box full of hay. Up until last night, all she did in the box was sit and eat. :) Yesterday, she seemed a bit restless, just incapable of staying at any one thing for very long at all... even head rubs. Then, later, she started digging like crazy -- at the tile floor, in her litter box, and in the nest box. So I figured she might kindle soon.

Overnight she went absolutely berserk! We heard her digging like mad all night. I got up at 5:30am to use the bathroom, only to find the entire floor covered in litter and bunny berries! :x Even her water bowl was full of it, and all the water was soaked up. I got a broom and swept all the litter over next to the litter box. I figured it was useless to put it back in the box at that point.

About four hours later, I heard this odd scratching. I looked at the nest box, and there was an explosion of white fur in it! And the fur was moving. :p YES!!! I got the kids, and we carefully, under the watchful eye of a nervous Pearl, came in and took a look. They were so excited to hold these little wiggly, warm kits that were only about an hour old. A little later, I pulled the nest box out because Pearl landed on the babies every time she hopped in (prompting a chorus of complaining squeaks), and I wanted to move them away from the middle. I put them on the inside of my robe:

image.php

There are eight of them -- 6 look all pink, one is spotted, and one is dark with a pink belly. They are all warm and wiggly, with round little tummies. You can tell some got more milk than others, as some tummies are more distended than others! :lol: They have an ever-so-slight sheen to them which I assume is the bare beginnings of fur.

I moved their nest to a corner of the box, and she didn't land on top of them the next time she hopped in.

Here's the new mom:

image.php

Pearl had been sold to her previous owner as a Flemish giant, but she quickly realized she couldn't be all Flemish giant because of her body shape. She sold Pearl to us as a Flemish giant cross. Someone at HT a while back mentioned she could be a Flemish/broken Rex cross. That does look quite plausible now, especially with her plush fur, but it is over an inch deep.

So these babies could be Flemish giant/broken Rex/Mini Lops!!! :lol:

Pearl looks like she's going to be a wonderful mom! And so starts our meat rabbit herd!

:mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce: :mbounce:

Thank you all so much!! We're all so excited, especially the kids. Pearl's been getting lots of praise and head rubs. It's just wonderful to peek into the bathroom and see these little pink wiggly bodies under all the white fluff... our daughter wasn't even upset about getting peed on, it was so funny! :lol:

Y'all have been so very much help to us, and we can't thank you enough! I hope someday I will have learned enough to help others on here as you have helped me!

I'll take some better pictures of Pearl in natural light once they're moved back to the porch, Emily! It's amazing we thought she was all white when we got her... like a Polaroid picture, she just keeps developing!

:happy2: :thankyou: :happy2:<br /><br />__________ Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:05 pm __________<br /><br />Can you see color developing in just one day? I could swear a couple of the pink ones look somewhat brown today!

Boy, are they active little things!

:)
thrilled to hear Pearl came through so beautifully :)

and um active explains the term popples eh?

Back